Started by Private User on Monday, September 17, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
Private User
9/17/2012 at 8:52 AM

A request to add this man was recently approved.

... but Charles Clement (1745 - 1806) - on the DAR database it shows a different wife. I think this project should only be for people who have descendents listed on the DAR database & on Geni.

In fact, how do we confirm this is the same man ?

Thanks
Annelise

9/17/2012 at 11:56 AM

Private User do you have a link to the profile for Charles Clement? I couldn't find him in search.

Private User
9/17/2012 at 4:15 PM

Charles Clement

The link to his DAR profile is in his "About" section

9/17/2012 at 7:43 PM

Charles Clement

http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_descendants/?act...

The above links should be the correct Charles Clement with the correct wife. I agree that the first Charles Clement is not the one in the DAR database. It would certainly be possible that there were 2 wives. If that were the case, I would think it would be easy to find in Ancestry.com. I looked and that does not appear to be the case. I'm not 100% sure of course.

Private User
9/17/2012 at 8:39 PM

I think that this project should be for profiles documented on the DAR database only.

As we are one of the biggest by projects by number of profiles on Geni - and there are millions of DAR members, I think we need a good system to verify that the profile we are requested to add is correct.

I actually think that this project should not included descendents. Ancestors only.

I got the request above, replied to the requester that more research was needed, but then the request vanished and the profile appeared in this project.

Is there some way to see who actually added the profile ?

Thanks,
Annelise

9/18/2012 at 6:13 AM

I absolutely agree that only the Patriot should be included in the DAR project.

Private User
9/18/2012 at 6:49 AM

Then we need to change the description, which reads:

Appropriate Profiles

Please add profiles that are in the DAR database. These can include patriots, wives and descendants of patriots, and DAR members. Proven lines only please!

9/18/2012 at 2:49 PM

I removed the DAR photo & took the first Charles Clement out of the DAR project.

9/18/2012 at 3:53 PM

I'm liking changing the description if someone is up for better phrasing. This project is so useful (and the DAR site so easy to use).

9/19/2012 at 8:50 AM

Sometimes it is helpful to have the first generation from the Patriot and their spouses.

This gives us direction, especially if there are two with the same name or more complicated yet, from the same place. This is like when you have a father and son with the same name from the same place.

Private User
9/19/2012 at 4:46 PM

So for those of us adding profiles, we should check:

1. If the ancestor matches the DAR database
2. If there is a link in the About section to the ancestor's DAR page
3. If there is a profile for at least one spouse and one son or daughter on Geni

So, who can change the description, and communicate these steps to the project participants ?

9/19/2012 at 4:54 PM

I've been thinking about this. One issue is the size and sort ability of this project. Maybe it would make more sense to break DAR members and verified descendants into subprojects / associated projects. The wives are actually more problematic altogether as their details are skimpy in the DAR site.

Sometimes I upload the document and use it for a family grouping, sometimes I hyperlink in the about - or both. But I think the mimumum should be the DAR ancestor number.

When there are similar name / date etc profiles we can make both into Master Profiles to avoid mismerges. Use a discussion thread with a link to the profile(s) requesting it of a curator.

Private User
9/19/2012 at 6:00 PM

I am proposing as a minimum a link to the actual DAR record.

For descendents, I link to the best descendent page and may upload it to sources and take the time to match up every person.

But ... for those who do not know how to navigate the DAR website, ancestor number is not enough. As the gatekeepers of this project, I think we should require, or add, the link to the relevant DAR database before new profiles are added, and clean up old ones as we go along.

9/19/2012 at 6:42 PM

Would it be possible to alphabetize the Patriots in the DAR & American Revolutionary War projects now and then? Perhaps there could be a alphabet at the top of the project page & you could click on the first letter of the surname.

For people working behind the scenes, there could be a list of the ones that belong to one of those & not the other. I have gone through several pages from the American Revolutionary War project & found Patriots that belong in the DAR project. There is a constant issue with that. I have seen cases where Patriots were added to the American Revolutionary War project when I would not have put them there. Their service was in fact Civil Service or Patriotic Service. However, for the Patriots that signed the Declaration of Independence, I felt compelled to add them to the American Revolutionary War.

I have seen very very few individuals added as a Patriot if they were in fact a descendant of the Patriot.
The first 4 ladies that founded the DAR should be recognized as they are, or some other way.
I have not put the link, but instead put the DAR number. It is irritating to me to click on the link & then I am no longer on the geni.com site. I prefer to work with several several sites open at the same time.

Also, keep in mind that the DAR database is dynamic. There are about 300,000 Patriots & about 900,000 total members since the beginning.

Also the disclaimer at the front of the research database would make me feel uncomfortable about from linking applications to geni or to specific descendants. Take a look at this link & let me know what you think. (The third paragraph in the first section.) I am conflicted about that.

http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search/?tab_id=0

Private User
9/19/2012 at 7:23 PM

Faustine,

1. Right click the link and have it open in a new tab or new window. (if you don't have this, update your browser)

2. I would not use that link to the DAR. I would link directly to the ancestor. e.g. http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_adb/?action=full...

9/19/2012 at 7:28 PM

Annelise,

1. Thanks, I just learned something new. Cool.

9/19/2012 at 7:42 PM

And I learned from you!

I have been obliviously populating the American Revolutionary War project with "patriotic service" people. OYE. We need to break that one out - DAR ancestor does not necessarily mean they took a combat role.<hangs head>

I can though teach how to "alias" the "bald link" so it takes less space in the "about" and looks neater, and that's by using [ URL DAR Ancestor # A1234455 ] but without spaces. Alternately highlight the URL and the text and use the "globe" icon to make the link.

Trick is one space between the web address and the text.

The advantage of the hyperlink is that as the DAR db updates so will the Geni profile. The disadvantage is the same -you think you have the fact nailed but then it was moved or changed.

9/19/2012 at 7:46 PM

Geni does hopefully have search, sort, group & index on the plate for future enhancements to projects.

Can someone make associated projects for Civil or Patriotic service? Should we make an SAR project as well?

I would love to see the DAR founding ladies honored with nice biographies and a section on the "overview."

9/19/2012 at 8:02 PM

Rather than having more projects, I think the DAR & American Revolutionary War projects could or should be combined. There are 300,000 DAR reasons & counting. I don't know how many Patriots fought in the American Revolution. I wouldn't want to dump in the ones who fought on the British side though. If we were all getting paid by geni it might make sense. KISS (Keep it Simple Strategy)

9/19/2012 at 8:13 PM

The problem is of course there are war participants who are not in DAR (I have several).

9/19/2012 at 8:27 PM

If the two projects are put together, the personal contributions can be listed in the About Me sections. If there are two separate projects, there will be some that should be in one & not the other, or both, or not the first but the other. I personally don't like to change the selection someone else makes. I don't want to get hate mail, so I skip over it unless I feel compelled to change it. I have seen cases where DAR does not mention someone actually fighting in the War, but the notes in the About Me specifically give information that they did. I am just putting this idea out there for everyone to think about.
So what I am proposing is that everyone in DAR & everyone who fought for the Independence of American could all go in the same pot. If someone wants to have a project for a specific battle, that's no problem.

9/19/2012 at 8:40 PM

We would have to find out from Geni if they would be able to combine, but frankly I like the idea. The criteria would be a specific indicator of belongingness - SAR, DAR, pension, militia membership, etc.

Then "related projects" could be battles, battalions, musters ... Whatever members come up with.

If it's DAR we offer that icon - if SAR, that one. Etc.

What say others?

9/19/2012 at 8:42 PM

N.B. Then we could have small projects featuring "notables," "LADIES", etc. And really polish those bios.

9/19/2012 at 9:20 PM

I'm tagging some curators for their feedback on the idea of combining the DAR Project with the American Revolutionary War Project.

Erin Ishimoticha
Pam Wilson (on hiatus)
Private User
Marvin Caulk, (C)
Kris Hewitt 🧬

9/19/2012 at 9:29 PM

And also of course Randy Stebbing

As Project organization master

Private User
9/20/2012 at 2:43 AM

Slow down there boys and girls :)

I think of the DAR project as primarily a way to find out if your ancestor has a well documented genealogy in the DAR database. It is cool that they were part of the Revolution - but I think it is more important that the DAR has high standards on the line of descent so we have a reputable source.

I would not want to mix that up with bragging rights of what an ancestor did or did not do in that war. (And yes, mine mostly "furnished supplies" or were drafted against their will for a short time :)

As I learn more about my country's history, I'd like to see a special - equally revered - project for conscientious objector (Quakers mostly) who held closer to their faith than the dogs of war. The ones who recognized that permitting slavery while calling for freedom was morally contradictory - and identify the so called "patriots" who locked them up for their beliefs.

Private User
9/20/2012 at 2:44 AM

:) end of sermon :)

9/20/2012 at 8:29 AM

We have to be careful putting links as the page suggested says:

"The databases contain DAR proprietary information which should under no circumstances be redistributed to others; assembled or collected for purposes other than DAR membership or for citation in genealogical scholarship; or reproduced or published in any form whatsoever. "

But the idea of using some sort of Icon for the members of DAR, SAR and even CAR would be helpful. All we would have to do is add their National Number. That allows DAR members to go to the DAR website and enter that number to access what is on our site there.

Combining would make things lots less complicated. One ancilliary we found was in the Revolution but happened to turn out to be a Ranger in SC and switched sides. (See Jimmy Carter's book the 'Hornet's Nest').

Another surveyed the roadway for the Patriot cause. Who knows how much work went into that? But it is listed as service and that is what anyone would find on the DAR site.

Having the battles or places would be just a bonus. Such as having notation as being at Bunker Hill. [Yes, I know everyone else was at Breed's Hill...but mine was still with Picket's Brigaide over at Bunker Hill)...Or denote those who suffered out the winter at Valley Forge (same ancestor). So having places and events might be interesting and helpful.

Cudos Girls for working on this! (Please do add our DAR Founding Mothers!)

Private User
9/20/2012 at 8:53 AM

I've been following this discussion for a little while and didn't need to add anything before. My involvement in the project has been limited to adding DAR-recognized profiles to the project as I create their MP's. I would like to thank you for the care and concern you are showing before making major changes to this project.

Annelise is correct in saying that we do not know what "providing service" meant to the patriot in question. Take Stephen Bryant Sargent, for example. He gave ONE GUN to the cause. I scoffed. Then I thought about life in the 1700's and I added this tiny editorial to his overview -- His DAR claim was based on the fact that he supplied a gun to the troops. Supplying one gun may sound insignificant to us but, in those days, a farmer or planter needed his gun to protect his family, to hunt game for the table and, depending on location, to fight Indians. Giving away one of his guns was truly a sacrifice in Stephen's day.

My ancestry traces back on one tree branch to Quakers of Virginia and North Carolina. I am sure they were quite conflicted. Their faith was strong, but so was their love of their adopted home. Many provided food or other supplies. It's what a Quaker would do -- I will feed thee but I will not take up arms with thee.

Private User
9/20/2012 at 3:35 PM

I personally think it would be better to keep the two separate. As we build I think both will become more important and useful.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion