Richard III of England - Looking for Richard III's body

Started by Justin Durand on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts

I think in some places they still do some of the above.They often still didn't use folks in the early years of USA.But they did use other utenciles. If you go to any of these mid evil festivals they do eat with thee hands. Never been to one but knew someone who partisipated in King Arthurs 9 it wasn't festival but it was something. I forget) They have it out in I believe Cavier , Mass , every year.Sorry spell check down for the mement.

There is some truth to that, but it also depends to some extent on who and where and when. Louis XIV, for instance, was a rampant egomaniac, exhibitionist and voyeur who thought absolutely nothing of doing his personal business in public and watching his mistresses give birth - and didn't care that his fancy palace of Versailles had NO bathrooms.

Public baths actually existed, and were used, in England down to to the 15th-16th century (a few were left over from the Romans, more were built by returning Crusaders who had gotten into the habit of warm baths and wanted to keep it up). They got a bad rep as brothels, but it took Henry VIII to shut them down for good. (Or at least for 300 years - the fashion snuck back in circa the mid-19th century from Turkey, hence "Turkish baths").

As for eating with the hands - yes and no. Everybody had eating daggers and spoons, and I can say from personal experience that it is quite possible to manage with just those utensils.

Acturally, they did. Just saw a write up on him and heard it on the news. How else would I have known it, since I didn't know he was missing until one of you people mentioned it.It started that he peobably wasn't really a hunchback at but had a deformity. Scoliosis.I know a little bit about this type of problem , since my father was born with a rare form of deformity , witch curved his spine , so he had a hump in his chest, his back caved in like a chicken,he never grew taller than 4ft 6 in., if he'd had an operation he might have been 5ft 10in, the shortest one in his family but taller then he was,one arma nd leg was shorter then the other. Yet he did everything , everyone else did, just out of pure stuponist.

PS I happen to be 5ft 9 inches tall, so I lucked out but I do have a problem with my neck curving like a question mark. No problem head is up normally but I do sometimes have proble,ms with both and neck. Sucj is life!

Richard III of England is my 17th Great Uncle. My brother could donate DNA, his father was our 18th GGF.

Bad arm? With spinal problems, nerve damage could mess his arm up. I was reading somethin the other day that mention he had a bad arm, but they couldnt see any bone deformaties.

And I too have a bad back, but i have cubitol tunnel and some sort of arthritis in my upper back

The remains as found do not support any sort of skeletal deformity to either arm. Nor could he have been the formidable fighter that he was if there were anything wrong with his arm(s).

He has frequently been cited as favoring the battleaxe as a weapon, which *will* lead to overdevelopment of the working shoulder and arm even if care is taken to exercise the other side - and back in Richard's day they knew a lot less about that.

On the button Maven

ACTURALLY MY FATHER WAS SERVIALLY DEFORMED. $ FT 6 IN. , A CURVED SPIN, HIS BACKED CAVED IN SO REMINED me of a chicken when you see it in the market ,caved in in the back, one arm and leg was shoter , yet he climbed water towers and dug ditches in WW2. never under estermate , what a person can do.He wasn't related to Richard that i know of.

That was supose to be 4ft 5 inches tall. I hit the cap lock in error.

As not related - judys dad, what is the current path shown between them? In theory, if thet have a common anscestor that their descended from, theres a chance, how much I dont know, but with the greatest number of chances is the possibility they will inherite a gene with that traight, same as the cancer gene. Example: x and y have same cancer gene , their descendents have a 50 percent chance, those decendents that mate with someone that has the same gene, all of their des. have the cancer gene and all get cancer. The less people that have that gene, the less chance of getting it.

Another theory - richard war a Heavy coat that coat that was made for someone with more muscule strength and taller stature, he carried heavy things that made more chance of scoliosis. So if ur father had scoliosis, carried heavy things for many years, he too would have the same back issues. People that do light work, that have scoliosis have less symptoms or take a longer period of time to show symptoms than someone doing heavy duty work

As for me, the 1st time it was noticed was about 8 yrs old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHDvnnK4nI

Richard III The New Evidence

Richard III's mtDNA haplogroup is J1c2c. He's listed as my 1st cousin, 17x removed and I am mtDNA haplogroup J1c2c2. It's my understanding that if you are J1c2c, it's safe to assume a 99-100% chance of being a direct descendant from the Plantagenet family is my understanding of it. All of you people that are first cousins are likely all J1c2c mtDNA haplogroup.

I think I need to point out (again, for the umpteenth time) that mtDNA is transmitted mother to daughter. NOT father to son (that's Y-DNA).

That doesn't link you with "the Plantagenet family" - it links you with Cicely Neville, Joan Beaufort, and Katherine Swynford. And with Katherine you hit a brick wall because we do not know who *her* mother was.

Maybe I'm wrong. Richard III is allegedly 1st cousin 17x removed, Edward III is allegedly my 18th, 19th, and 20th (and maybe one or two more) great grandfather, due to cousins marrying, so multiple pathways. Even more prior to Edward III, so theoretically if you are Richard III's cousin, you are also undoubtedly also a close relation, a cousin of Edward III and the Plantagenet family?

Edward III has been called, with some justification, "the father of the English middle class". He didn't tomcat around as much as many other kings did, but he was very prolific, and there just weren't enough royal cousins for all those kids to marry. So the younger ones took what they could get (upper nobility, mostly), and their descendants kept marrying down until they were in the untitled gentry, and so on and so forth.

I really do not wantbto be related but since i am, i am a 1st cousin 16 times removed.

Form of it I meant.

I have a form of scoliosis. Never knew it until i was around 60. My fAther had a rare genetic form. . But relationship to richard is through my mother's side. That doesn't mean there could not be another connection.

Be advised that I know nothing about DNA and genealogy, am not an expert. I have looked at a boatload of data to be sure, but am not necessarily qualified to make any objective analysis of it. I see lots of pieces to a puzzle that do seem to come together to form some sort of big picture, but any opinions I may have of it can't be regarded or relied upon.

I know very little about how DNA works. It is all gobbly goup to me. I have not as yet given in to having mine done.

There's actually a lot that can be determined, or that becomes evident from the raw DNA data, especially if the recorded historical data is robust and you have relatively comprehensive family tree information. It's like seeing pieces of a puzzle that all seem to come together somehow, even if as a layman you are unable to define how the pieces actually come together and are missing a few pieces of the puzzle it's very fascinating stuff!

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion