Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
9/10/2012 at 12:15 PM

Name: 'Maud'

9/10/2012 at 12:58 PM

Maud is a nickname for Matilda. In fact, Douglas Richardson, an expert in medieval genealogy, argues that in common speech the name was always Maud, but because we encounter the name as Matilda in Latin charters, the Victorians got the idea that the name was formally Matilda and Maud was only a nickname.

http://www.royalancestry.net/publications.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_(name)

Private User
9/10/2012 at 7:35 PM

Doug Richarson is an excelleant source! He and N.E.H.G. are two of my best sourses. Of course I have more than the two. But he is very good!

9/11/2012 at 4:26 AM

Ahh great - thank you Justin Durand that makes sense - I'll put it back into her profile name then.

Private User
9/11/2012 at 8:20 AM

In things I've seen over the years it's usually both. They write Matilda also know as Maud. I usually put it in that way. That way all basis are covered and if one person knows her as one and another knows her by another , at least they know they have the right person. Some people have four or five names, you can't ingor that fact. It's a fact of life, that's all! Judy

9/11/2012 at 8:34 AM

Yes, agreed. I've include her original names too. Way to please everyone and no one, I know :-)

11/9/2012 at 11:26 PM

Surname Atheling OR of Normandy

11/10/2012 at 7:08 AM

Sharon Doubell@sharon, Aethling was a term loosely meaning heir to the throne so not a surname as such.

11/10/2012 at 7:44 AM

Agreed, Terry - just recording the data from the merged in profile.
So, are we all happy with the profile details as they are now?

11/27/2012 at 1:16 AM

This Discussion is intended as a Log of the Data elided/ deleted at the stage of resolving Data Conflicts on this profile.

I have already resolved the Data Conflict, and am simply making sure that all the managers involved in that merge, know what data of theirs was removed.

I am doing this as a courtesy, against the possibility that the profile’s managers may want to be alerted to the opportunity to engage with the data choices. (Sending a private message means there is no record for any future managers of the profile - of which we hope there will be many.)

It is not a query, and it does not require a comment, unless you disagree with the way the Data Conflict was resolved, or you want to add useful info about the data at stake – that you think others can benefit from when resolving Data Conflicts on that profile in the future.

Further info and FAQ can be found here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/115121?msg=832711

Forename Eadgyth – Matilda; Edith Matilda

12/13/2012 at 7:54 AM

Well I just learned something new here I never knew Maud was considered a mick name for Matilda and I my family tree Maud is used as a given name only with no nicknames and no middle name

Kudo's Sharon and Justin for bring something to light that is new to me.

This is great Sharon - I think a records of removed data should be kept also

Private User
12/13/2012 at 8:16 AM

it is but many people just use Maud. It's like mercy and Mary and sometime and why I don't know Mary and Sally. That just doesn't make sence!Judy is a nickname for Judith , yet I have know people just named Judy.. You have to put peoples names in the way it appears on their birth records. Spelled the way they wanted it spelled, weather you agree with it or not. Because it's their name. You can't assume Maud id really Matilda unless it shows up in a record. Judi , you are right, it could be just Maud. In this case it wasn't but never assume! I'm with you on that one Judi.

Private User
12/13/2012 at 8:18 AM

A lot of people go by middle names too. My mother did. I never knew her middle name was really her first name , until after she was dead. My uncle Ernest was really frank Ernest and so on. Must be careful out there people!

12/14/2012 at 3:56 AM

:-)

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion