Saint Margaret of Scotland - Alternative data from Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts

And by the way, she was my 22nd great grandmother. Big question for all of us, off course: "how will our 22nd great grandchildren judge about us?"
I invite you all to wright his/her personal live-filosofy on geni-about. Not only for your grandchildren. I am / we are interested as well. Anyway that's better than to wright it on a (syrian) rocket.

:-)

@Saint Margaret, Queen of Scots is my 26th grt grandmother Judy Rice

@Oswulf I, Earl of Northumbria is my 30 grt grandfather Judy Rice

Come off it Justin! What was the "Celtic church", anyway? They had different monastic traditions, and a different way of calculating the date of Easter. The only argument was about the latter, and that, for Scotland, was settled at the Synod of Whitby three centuries before Saint Margaret was even born. I can't see any evidence that she spread Romanism or had much influence at all. If the existing "D" version of the Anglo-Saxon chronicle is accepted as having been commissioned by her or her family, what the underlying agenda of the Scottish additions seems to be is that Margaret (daughter of someone without power and sister of someone without power) was not a mis-match.

Mark

Ah, much more than that, Mark.

She is generally credited with bringing Anglo-Saxon customs and fashions to the Scottish court. It was her policy to break the power of the old Scottish abbots and bring bishops to greater prominence, as in the English church.

Under her influence, her husband introduced the Benedictine order to Scotland, brokered a deal under which the Scottish dioceses became special "daughters" of Rome, began replacing the old collegiate churches with parish churches, and began shifting ecclesiastical architecture away from the native style toward the Continental style (Romanesque).

All of these "reforms" were designed to break the power of the clans and centralize power in monarchy.

Saint Margaret of Scotland is my 25th Great Grandmother, and I will have to say that I admire her determination, to stand for what she believed in. She obviously saw there was a change that needed to be made. To me it doesn't matter what religious bent a person is, as long as they act upon what is in their heart. Her kindness shows she had a heart, and being Catholic, shows she had commitment to her beliefs. I am not Catholic, but admire her strength, and determination. She HAD to do what her conscience told her to do.

Saint Margaret of Scotland is your 27th great grandmother.

Oswulf, Earl of Northumbria is your 31st great grandfather.

She is my 26th Great Great Grandmother. The Catholic Church in the town next to me (in the town where I practice as a Doctor-Nurse Practitioner) is named Margaret of Scotland. It is special to me as I pass it everyday going to take care of patients. My heart is warmed when I attend services, weddings, and funerals at this blessed church. My nephew played soccer on the church league, and heard the word of God at this church. Wonderful.

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion