Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts
9/5/2012 at 8:21 AM

Birth Surname Waltheof

9/5/2012 at 9:24 AM

Where did you see that birth name, Sharon? I do NOT claim to be an expert in any way, but have read a couple of books about Margaret and don't recall seeing a reference to that name.

9/5/2012 at 9:26 AM

Ja, me neither Timothy. It was on one of the duplicate profiles that someone merged in, and I was resolving the left-over Data Conflicts.
I removed it, but thought I'd make a note of it, in case the person who put it there wanted to tell us more.

9/5/2012 at 11:09 AM

I'm presently reading a book about "Grandma Maggie" by Eileen Dunlop, conveniently titled Queen Margaret of Scotland. It has been published by the National Museums of Scotland and I highly recommended it to all interested in this fascinating and somehow mysterious character.

9/5/2012 at 12:09 PM

Sounds fascinating, Graciela. I imagine her at court as bringing 'civilisation' to the Scots warlords, while being continuously pregnant :-). At the moment I'm trying to research her 'possible' predecessor with Malcolm - Ingibjorg.

Please add any pertinent or interesting bits to her Profile, and if you enjoy the book - why not recommend it there too?

Private User
9/5/2012 at 1:39 PM

Wasn't her Son Saint David of Arling

9/5/2012 at 1:57 PM

She brought civilization to the Scots warlords? Oh sure. By destroying the Celtic church, and doing all she could to undermine a culture that was older and more sophisticated than her own. She was an evil, shameless woman.

9/5/2012 at 6:23 PM

Oswult's son was named Waltheof in the 900's There was alot of treachery in the below link. Worth reading the family profiles.
That may be why Saint Margaret of Scotland got her name. To make amends for what the family background was.

Oswulf I, Earl of Northumbria

9/5/2012 at 6:45 PM

I was hoping someone would take up the challenge, and have fun arguing that Margaret was a beacon of civilization. No? Oh well.

The commonly accepted view -- I don't know if it's true -- is that Margaret became a saint because she extended the influence of the Anglo-Saxon church (that is, the Roman church) into Celtic Scotland.

There is an old joke, sure to tick off all Scots, that the Lowland Scots were Backwoods English, and the HIghland Scots were Backwoods Irish. Anyone want to take up that debate instead?

9/5/2012 at 7:08 PM

Can't match your knowledge Justin.....I'll have to research it more. All I know is that treachery can blacken one's name.

9/5/2012 at 7:11 PM

Look at the jokes passed on about Swedish people and Norwegian's.

9/5/2012 at 7:37 PM

Picture of Saint Margaret of Scotland

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09655c.htm

9/6/2012 at 2:10 AM

Sheesh, Justin - give me a moment to wake up on this side of the world, before you give up on creating debate :-)

I think Margaret was made a saint because she had the grace to die rather than live without her husband :-)

9/6/2012 at 2:11 AM

As to =There is an old joke, sure to tick off all Scots, that the Lowland Scots were Backwoods English, and the HIghland Scots were Backwoods Irish. Anyone want to take up that debate instead?=
who do we offend if we say that they were all backwoods Norse? :-)

9/6/2012 at 3:55 AM

Ahh - I found Waltheof - he is Siward's son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltheof,_Earl_of_Northumbria

9/6/2012 at 3:58 AM

The Norse ;)

9/6/2012 at 4:02 AM

So we've pretty much left no one out. How egalitarian is that? :-)

9/7/2012 at 2:08 PM

Margaret was VERY religious, and in truth she had wanted to be a nun, the same as her sister Christina. We know, from the past and the present times, what an excess of devotion can do to people.....

9/8/2012 at 11:56 AM

:-)

2/4/2013 at 8:16 PM

she is my 26th great grandmother

Private User
3/3/2013 at 10:54 AM

She is my 22nd Great Grandmother. There is a church near my office Saint Margaret of Scotland (Catholic).

3/4/2013 at 1:02 AM

Hello cousins

Private User
3/4/2013 at 4:54 AM

Hi cousins!
I enjoyed reading about how Margaret shared love by feeding the hungry and tending to others needs. I am very active doing things like this too! My car is often full of food and clothing that I deliver, along with other helpers. A co-worker celebrates the Feast of St. Margaret (she uses the June 10 date). Linda even set her basement up with food donations one year in a lovely arrangement, had it blessed, and then shared the food with the hungry in our area. Oh,now I am more inspired by knowing what Margaret did. Hey, I enjoy all of the jokes mentioned above, too. ha ha!

3/4/2013 at 4:40 PM

She is my 39th GGrandmother

3/7/2013 at 5:48 AM

Saint Margaret is my 25th great grandmother. I believe she was sainted so the Picts and Celts would convert to Christianity. I find that most Celtic monarchs, gods and goddesses were sainted for that reason. Can't beat em, add them to your church.

3/8/2013 at 8:14 AM

Carrie, Saint Margaret is my 24th great grandmother through my maternal grandfather, You are my 16th cousin through my paternal grandmother.

3/8/2013 at 9:03 AM

she was made a saint, as, many where
because, she agreed to align her forces with the roman catholic church
- and, there is NO doubt,
the result of her actions,
would have directly resulted in the destruction of celtic /pict etc., lineages
- she also, is one of my great grandmothers (approx 25th)

Private User
3/8/2013 at 3:39 PM

i an direct decendant of her too but am more interested in the person then the Saint. Not big on SaintsBut the person is very interesting

3/9/2013 at 1:58 AM

@Susan I think by the time that she was made a saint, the picts had been assimilated into the Irish Scots lines for a couple of generations already.

Private User
9/6/2013 at 10:07 AM

Hi Justin, I do not agree with you that she was an evil, shamless woman. I think she was a product of an evil, shameless Roman church. Like we are products of our own evil, shameless time. It is our task not to fall for whatever propaganda from what ever filosofy, church or person, but to wake up. Oh man, I hear myself preachin' now. So don't listen to me.... Michaël

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion