Profiles I added to project

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Thursday, August 30, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
8/30/2012 at 8:39 AM

I added a medieval van Gent Rudolph de Boulogne and a Massachusetts Governor, an early settler of Salem, Gov. John Endicott to the project.

I hope that George J. Homs or Fred Bergman or another appropriate person will take Rudolph.

I started the project on Salem, which Endicott is part of, hopefully there is someone out there interested in this family or in early Salem.

I am happy to keep both profiles as I have worked in these areas, but thought there might be someone more knowledgeable than me who would like to curate them.

8/30/2012 at 8:45 AM

Thanks, Hatte, I'll take Rudolph. You must have seen that I merged a few lines around there early on. I saw your curator note, but didn't further examine the 'dubious' ancestry. I'll check it out ;-)

8/30/2012 at 9:06 AM

Fantastic, thanks George J. Homs. I got into the van Gent family due to a marriage with the de Montfort sur Risle family.

8/30/2012 at 10:20 AM

I've been working around many towns and villages in Flanders, the past few weeks (Geni-wise, not physically). It reminds me how hard it must be for so many people to understand the problems with these Flemish lineages, titling and naming. For instance, many 'van Gent' became 'van Aalst' because they assumed the Aalst lordship title. Still, they were the van Gent dynasty (which came from another, again). Having lived around there for about 30 years of my life, I know that all these places are just 10-15 miles apart from one another, so I get around the profile hurdles because I 'see' the places were they lived. Plus, I can read the old local-language manuscripts, of course.
Today, I worked mainly around 'van Gavere', van 'Liedekerke', 'van Herzele' etc. Again, all these are just a few miles apart, but it brings a huge confusion. All the genealogy pages are wrong on this families, because they confuse 'surnames' and 'titles', and it becoms a real headache when titles are passed on to different branches in the same dynasty.
The radical solution is to MP all the profiles, to avoid problems in the future, but that's almost impossible. Perhaps doing projects around these dynasties and attaching all the profiles is perhaps the only way. Otherwise, it's a never-ending story of running behind profiles, and researching everything again in order to get it right after new errors are introduced.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Hatte!

8/30/2012 at 10:39 AM

I like the idea of doing projects around the dynasties. At least that provides background and an audit trail for everyone to see. I know I found the Flemish lines daunting and tried to back out of van Gent quickly, only taking on ones close to the de Montfort family. If you do a project -- and I thought there was a project already perhaps -- you should have a section at the top on the confusion of titles and surnames, with examples. I personally would MP all profiles and lock the fields :) And put a note - see <Project> in Curator's Notes.

I'm starting to have more interest in the Low Lands now that I have van Koevenhoven in my family :) And others.

8/30/2012 at 10:43 AM

Col. James Ball, III is there for the taking for you Old Virginia families experts Private User and Erica Howton

Private User
9/2/2012 at 3:58 PM

Oh, whoops. Are we supposed to be commenting here when we add profiles? I haven't been. Sorry!

9/2/2012 at 4:12 PM

I just drop them off and ignore invites to take on more. :)

9/2/2012 at 5:42 PM

Just remember to if you adopt a profile to curate that you then remove it from the project so that its continued presence won't confuse others.

Private User
9/2/2012 at 10:02 PM

<Maria is sitting on her hands and resisting the temptation to take on yet another Virginia family.>

Private User
6/22/2015 at 1:02 AM

I have added John Denver after merging a bunch of trees - mostly managers who haven't been on for 6months or more - requests went straight through "completed by collaborators" Outside my comfort zone

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion