Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
8/28/2012 at 5:06 AM

Birth Date c. 900 897
Death Location Fetteresson, Kincardineshire, Scotland - In Battle Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland

9/28/2012 at 10:13 AM

Just an FYI - perhaps consider using sources other than "one world tree" for correct information.

9/29/2012 at 1:36 AM

? Don't follow you.

9/29/2012 at 12:32 PM

Sharon the uploaded source document is from old GEDCOM uploads as Erin described on another thread. At "merge time" an icon shows with a link to the supporting doc - which in this case is not exactly "historian vetted.". :):)

10/1/2012 at 1:07 AM

Ahh, I see. @Jacqueli, Geni relies on you to add those.

10/2/2012 at 8:47 AM

Not one of your more intelligent remarks here Sharon - Erica Howton is correct, the profile has probably lost sourcing from merges.

But, alas, I am jst a lowly basic user here on geni - YOU are the curator.

Maybe I should refresh your sarcasm for geni relies on it's curators (reminding YOU that you started the discussion)

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Curators_--_and_how_YOU_can_help
What skills are expected of a Geni Curator?
1. Critical thinking, research and problem-solving skills; ability to organize, structure and critically analyze genealogical and historical information within its larger historical context
2. Research skills: willingness and ability to seek out the most definitive sources and to be open to various interpretations of sometimes-conflicting data
3. Ability and willingness to represent Geni and to communicate diplomatically and respectfully with Geni users
4. Ability and willingness to work collaboratively, to negotiate through controversies, and to work for the good of the whole rather than serving individual interests

It is because of curators that act before they think, or use less than impartial communication skills with interacting with non-curators, that I participate less now than I did prior. There are a handful of curators that are respectful and not lazy in their contibutions such as Erica, Hatte, Erin, Bjorn - who do an awesome job without being over bearing towards others - Enough said.

10/2/2012 at 9:31 AM

Here are a few of the sources on Máel Coluim I mac Domnaill
since you "relie" on myself for such information, but it would be prudent of you as a curator to become familiar with the historic profiles and actually attempt to read the sources to assure the accuracies and appropriate application to the actual historic individual (BTW - I will let you do the addition to the about me section of his sourcing) :):

Annala Uladh: Annals of Ulster otherwise Annala Senait, Annals of Senat
Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia, Volumes 1-5
By John T. Koch
The Genealogy of the Gorman Family of Saginaw and Ingham Counties, Michigan
Part 8: Appendix 1: Genealogy of the Ui Bairrche, from Rawlinson B 502 << Back to Contents

MÍNIUGUD SENCHASA M. N-AIREGDA CATHAÍR.
GENELACH ÚA m-BAIRRCHE.
Descent from Adam to Luke Joshua Stevens (website) by Luke Stevens. http://geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2444/descent.htm.
O’Hart, John. Irish Pedigrees. ©1915, P. Murphy & Son, NY.
Bartrum. Early Welsh Genealogical Tracts, A Welsh Classical Dictionary. &"Pedigrees of the Welsh Tribal Patriarchs", National Library of Wales Journal v.13.
Celt Corpus of Electronic Texts (website). http://www.ucc.ie/celt/ © 1997 1998 Corpus of Electronic Texts (UCC).
P.W. Joyce, M.A., LL.D., T.C.D.; M.R.I.A. A Smaller Social History of Ancient Ireland. ©1908 M.H. Gill & Son, Ltd., Dublin. Website: http://www.alia.ie/tirnanog/sochis/sochis01.html.
The Tribes of Laigin, Leinster Series (website). http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/kilkenny/2/leinst2.htm
Patrick Lavin. Ancestral Quest. © 1997 by Garryowen, Inc., Publishers.
Index of Ireland Family Names and Al Beagan's "Genealogy Notes©" (website). http://www.capecod.net/~abeagan/ireland.htm
Edmond Gorman. The Records of Moycarkey and Two-Mile-Boris. ©1935.
Samuel Lewis. Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. ©1838.
Thomas Cahill. How the Irish Saved Civilization, 1995 by Doubleday Books, New York, NY
The O'Clery Book of Genealogies
Analecta Hibernica #18
R.I.A. MS. 23 D 17
The Glenmasan Manuscript
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts at University College Cork includes the Annals of Ulster, Tigernach, the Four Masters and Innisfallen, the Chronicon Scotorum, the Lebor Bretnach (which includes the Duan Albanach), Genealogies, and various Saints' Lives
Chronicle of Melrose
The Chronicle of the Kings of Alba
Woolf, Pictland to Alba, p. 175; Anderson, Early Sources, pp. 444–448; Broun
Frederick Lewis Weis., Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700 (Genealogical Publishing, Inc (Eighth Editon)).

10/2/2012 at 11:22 AM

Jacqueli, there was no sarcasm, and your initial tone and subsequent insults are completely uncalled for.

I logged the extraneous data as a record, when I cleared up the Data Conflicts leftover from a merge.

Your comment:
= Just an FYI - perhaps consider using sources other than "one world tree" for correct information" =
made no sense, as I haven't used the one world tree, and my query about what you were saying, was perfectly polite.

10/2/2012 at 11:42 AM

Really? Ahh, I see. @Jacqueli, Geni relies on you to add those
was not quite polite at all, and I only said the truth as by your accussing me of impoliteness. I was trying to point out that the one and only source was inadequate - my response to your sarcasm was honest.

10/2/2012 at 12:02 PM

Jacqueli, I think we should take a break from this conversation, and continue it privately tomorrow.
You seem to me to be perceiving insults where there are none, so I'm assuming there is more to this than I'm seeing.

Geni does rely on you to add all the sources you want to on the profiles. There was no sarcasm in answering you there either. There isn't much more to say than that there is no problem with you adding sources. Why are you so upset about that?

I simply resolve the Data Conflict to prevent them piling up (which they do on profiles like this one). It's routine maintenance work and takes a lot of unpaid time to do, and I have no vested interest in the data, except that we get it most correct! That's why I don't just delete the conflicting data and carry on.

I log a record of the conflicting data exactly in order to elicit from the managers involved their interest and research sources; so that the profile does represent the managers' input. This is a lot of extra work, and I wonder why I bother if this is your response. It makes no sense to me and feels unnecessarily unkind.

10/2/2012 at 6:24 PM

Understood - and yes, I have had very bad experiences with a handfull of curators, one in particular - so pardon if I thought you were being sarcastic if you were not for I never had a problem with you. I myself was just trying to help and as I said, I do not put as much time and effort into geni as I did in the past because of the curators that acted badly.

The historic lineage, the basis of the "Big Tree" efforts, happens to be the main line of my lineage from all my lines of ancestry, and research, so if you need documentation, ever, as some of the curators know - I am always able to assist. I apoligize again if I took your comment as an attempt to belittle for I have come across this bad attitude from a handful of curators on your team.

10/3/2012 at 3:52 AM

:-)

8/11/2016 at 4:17 AM

Birth Date c. 900 OR 897

Private User
1/3/2019 at 9:54 AM

If his mother died in 897, he can’t have been born in 900. Looks like she died in childbirth or complications there after, but the profile of hi mother Sigurda look EXACTLY like my sister and I today, which is just deeply uncanny and cool!

Private User
1/3/2019 at 9:54 AM

If his mother died in 897, he can’t have been born in 900. Looks like she died in childbirth or complications there after, but the profile of hi mother Sigurda look EXACTLY like my sister and I today, which is just deeply uncanny and cool!

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion