Vercingetorix is floating alone out there!

Started by Vicki Thomas on Sunday, August 19, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 36 posts
8/19/2012 at 6:56 AM

Is there any way to connect him to the big tree? I tried to find more info on him but was not able to. Is this any way to treat a hero of the French people??

8/19/2012 at 1:16 PM

Can you post the link to the profile? Any sources to suggest?

8/19/2012 at 1:30 PM

nope the celts didnt leave written records so his family isnt known apart from his father Celtillus

Vercingetorix

8/19/2012 at 3:36 PM

that is a shame. I wonder if he is connected to the Merovingian kings.

8/19/2012 at 5:36 PM

Of course he is Vicki, but then aren't we all?

Private User
8/19/2012 at 6:01 PM

Vercingetorix had an an uncle:

"His own father, Celtillus, "had been put to death by the Gauls because they thought he was aiming at making himself an absolute ruler" (Plutarch, Life of Caesar, 25), and his uncle, Gobannitio, an Arvernian magistrate "thought the enterprise too risky" (Caesar, Bellum Gallium, 6,4), "

See: http://conquest.caeraustralis.com.au/vercingetorix.php
which has more info. Looks well referenced, but of course, should be double checked.

Private User
8/19/2012 at 6:04 PM

Also, at
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/people_vercingetorix.html

"Vercingetorix was the son of Celtillus, an Arvernian nobleman who according to Caesar had once 'held the supremacy of entire Gaul', but had been killed by his fellow Gauls when they discovered that he wanted to become king of a united Gaul. At the start of the revolt Vercingetorix attempted to raise the Arverni, but he was expelled from Gergorvia, their capital, by a group of noblemen led by his uncle Gobanitio. This was only a temporary setback, for Vercingetorix was able to gather together a large force of his own followers. The nobles were overthrown and Vercingetorix was acclaimed as king of the Arverni."

8/19/2012 at 6:05 PM

Well weather we all are connected to the Merovs I do not know. I know I am.

Is there anyone on here reading that is not? I imagine Asians, maybe might not.

I am just learning about all these things so I do not know as much as most.

Private User
8/19/2012 at 6:18 PM

Also - quite cool to see a coin with an image of Vercingetorix at
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/romebattles/ig/Rome-s-Enemies/Ve...

8/19/2012 at 6:32 PM

Vicki,
I was referring to the fact that all humans are related, doesn't Geni illustrate that over and over again?
According to the bible _everyone_ is a descendant of Adam and Eve.
According to DNA everyone is a descendant of mitochrondial Eve, so which ever way you look at the issue everyone alive is related to the Merovingian kings somehow.
Even if some of us don't have a clue who the Merovingian kings are! :)

8/19/2012 at 6:36 PM

Slightly more to the point:
Was "his uncle Gobanitio" the brother of Celtillus or brother-in-law?
What latin term is being translated to "uncle" and how strict is that translation?

Just asking questions, i was miserable at latin.

Private User
8/19/2012 at 6:44 PM

Good point, Alex. If we were to look at the original latin text, it may be explicit.
See
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/jcsr/dbg7.htm

"Prohibetur ab Gobannitione, patruo suo, reliquisque principibus, qui hanc temptandam fortunam non existimabant; "

I presume that "patruo" means that he is a paternal uncle?

Any Latin scholars out there who can confirm?

8/19/2012 at 6:50 PM

Google recognises "patruo suo" as Lithuanian and gives a translation to English with a very different meaning, but still surprisingly accurate considering the historical context.

Private User
8/19/2012 at 6:53 PM

Naughty! That is not helpful - Vercingetorix may come back to haunt you (or to give you the Celtic equivalent of a "high-5", as it was his Uncle, after all, that chucked him out)... "Patriotic Dog", indeed!

8/19/2012 at 6:57 PM

google latin translate says

It is forbidden by the Gobannitione, his uncle, and rest of the nobles, who they did not believe the fate of this attempt on

8/19/2012 at 6:58 PM

patruo suo = his uncle

8/19/2012 at 7:00 PM

Yes geni does illustrate we are all connected some way. I am still trying to wrap my mind around all of this and doing some reading of history on the side. That coin would make a mighty fine necklace for me.

8/19/2012 at 7:20 PM

but in English there is no gender attachment to the word uncle (beyond the obvious!) so we have two possible connections to the tree.
"suo" = his, agreed.
does the patr in patruo imply paternal as Michele assumes or is there no differentiation in Latin as to the exact relationship either?
Google translate is fine for puzzling out the basic intent but fine details often escape it, in my experience.

8/19/2012 at 7:28 PM

id say the patr would refer to the maleness of uncle Justin Durand ??

8/19/2012 at 7:32 PM

patruus = paternal uncle
amita = paternal aunt

8/19/2012 at 7:33 PM

avunculus is maternal uncle

boom

8/19/2012 at 7:35 PM

It does seem that way, and so we a left no more knowledgable as to Gobanitio's genetic link to Vercingetorix.
Actually to muddy the water even further, it's possible the relationship is through marriage only. Vercingetorix's mother may have had a sister who married Gobanitio, making him Vercingetorix's uncle but not a blood relative?

8/19/2012 at 7:38 PM

Okay, so Gobanitio is an uncle thru Celtillus, but were they brothers or did Celtillus have a sister that married Gobanitio?

Private User
8/19/2012 at 7:52 PM

I think that we can all agree that floating profiles are not only fine, but requisite in antiquity!

I've no doubt that a true scholar of Latin would be able to infer the relationship far better than we can, as even modern latin languages are quite gender-specific with pronouns, so I do think that it is most likely that the uncle is paternal.

Further, as it was Vercingetorix's father who is King, and then his Uncle turf's him out to become the leader, it seems to indicate that side of his family. The Averni were not that big a people to support too many royal lines, I would imagine. Of course, he could be the husband of the King's sister... aaah!

Shall we agree that, short of gaining the services of a REALLY good psychic, or a hidden Roman text being revealed, this question shall never be resolved - and that is presuming you could cite a psychic reading?

8/19/2012 at 8:08 PM

If floating profiles are okay there is one missing...Cartimandua. She needs a place on GENI. Queen of the Brigantes.

8/19/2012 at 8:35 PM

Oh good thanks. glad to see her there.

8/19/2012 at 8:47 PM

Jason is right. A patruus is a paternal uncle. Classical Latin is very exact about relationships. Caesar was writing a literary work, propaganda really, so he used the best Latin. I could be wrong, but I believe that at this time patruus very specifically meant a father's brother. Just that.

If Gobannitio were Celtillus' half-brother, I'd bet Caesar would have left out that detail. He didn't want to bore his audience with the details. So, Gobannitio might have been Celtillus' patruus uterinus (on their mother's side) or patruus consanguineus (on their father's side).

A father's sister's husband would have been a martitus amitae, or vir amitae, maybe even coniunx amitae -- all different nuances of aunt's "husband".

Private User
8/19/2012 at 8:50 PM

Bravo Justin - I knew we would have SOMEONE who knew Latin on Geni.

8/19/2012 at 9:00 PM

Thansk, Michele. More to the point, I don't think I've ever seen any genealogical link to Vercingetorix, not even from those myth makers in the 18th century. You'd think one of them would have "discovered" a path through Boudica ;)

Showing 1-30 of 36 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion