Aun "den gamle" Jörundsson, king of Uppsala
Place of Burial: Uppsala, Sweden
Birth: 509 Sverige
Death: 544 (35) Uppsala, Sweden

daughter
Sigrid Aunsdotter (Queen of Denmark)
Birth: 480

daughter was born before father.
Father did not die age 35. He was born about 460.

Private User
8/15/2012 at 12:23 AM

Do you want to "correct" the years if they exist in any records ? If not, we have to write a probable year.

8/15/2012 at 3:43 AM

Of course we must correct the year. If anyone have sourses...write them.
Paul Westerlund

8/15/2012 at 3:51 AM

I don;t think that Aun bacame 84 years old, it is not logical in that year of time.
Maybe his death year also is wrong or Sigrid Aunsdotter birth. Hope someone wise can give sourses and right time.

Private User
8/15/2012 at 4:16 AM

Well, read the saga on why he was called "den gamle" (the old)...

Anyhow, - just ignore all birth and death years in those lines, - they are just fabricated by people who insist on having dates attached to these saga people.

8/15/2012 at 4:44 AM

Don't spoil the fun now. The sourcing here is about to get creative, as we all put on our robes and tin foil hats.

8/15/2012 at 6:31 AM

Björn what do you mean? Have these peoples not exist? Are you an expert in Swedish histori?

Private User
8/15/2012 at 9:57 AM

Bjørn only talk about the years of birth, not if the peoples has lived/existed. Of course they has lived on the earth.

Private User
8/15/2012 at 10:42 AM

If you read the sagas you will never find any references to dates, only relationships where we also know that "son of xyz" not necessarily means a direct son, only a direct relationship line.

8/16/2012 at 1:49 AM

Saga means farytale in Swedish.

Private User
8/16/2012 at 2:15 AM

Maybe Paul Westerlund care to correct the years of birth ?

Private User
8/16/2012 at 2:38 AM

Paul, -Nothing in this discussion is in Swedish and I am sure that there are several words here which have a totally different meaning in other languages. Who cares?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga

8/16/2012 at 2:59 AM

Thank you Arnfred but no, I see Björns meaning. Maybe somebody professional in history can give answer. Is it anybody out there?

Private User
8/16/2012 at 3:35 AM

Back to King Aun "The Aged" Jörundsson of Uppsala, - some of the sagas tells that he was over 200 years when he died (explaining the name "den gamle" - "the old") by getting an extended lifetime by the sacrifice of a son to Odin. He was finally stopped from killing his last son Egil and dies.

I don't think you will find professional historians who will dare to estimate any dates based on that history ;-)

8/16/2012 at 3:53 AM

Me neither, but maybe closer than amatores like us do. I do think that they can give an aproximate year of birth insted of that the daughter is born before his father.

8/16/2012 at 9:38 AM

I'm not sure fairytale is a good translation for saga. Sagas are a particular kind of literature. The word saga is related to the English verb "to say". Sagas are stories, true or false. Some people like to guess dates when there is no evidence. A historian will ignore them. If people have different guesses, how do you decide which one is right?

8/16/2012 at 4:58 PM

As allways, by using a time machine...... :-)

8/16/2012 at 5:49 PM

Very funny Remi.
I believe the correct approach is to write an academic paper, have it peer reviewed by someone who agrees with you and then get it printed in any obscure publication that will accept it.
Once in print everyone will happily quote it as a reputable secondary source!
:-)

Private User
8/16/2012 at 11:57 PM

That is unfortunately a general problem in the world: When something is written in a book it has to be the truth!

Private User
8/17/2012 at 12:34 AM

Reed about Aun (the old) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aun . In this stub of a story it is refered to legends/myths (also called saga).

Private User
8/17/2012 at 12:50 AM

The mounds in Gamla Uppsala where possibel Aun is buried are from 5th century AD. Therefore I think Aun is born about the year of 500 AD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamla_Uppsala . Let us write birthyear for Aun ca 500 and his daughter is born ca 550 in the "ancestrytree" for these people. I do not think we comes closer in this case ever, either we argue a whole year or not.

Arnfred Nilsen

8/17/2012 at 12:51 AM

To be precise, the Aun article on Wikipedia refers to Snorri's Ynglingasaga (~1225), Islendigabok (1200s) and Historia Norwegiæ (possibly 1200s) - three specific manuscripts. I like that level of precision!

Private User
8/17/2012 at 1:02 AM

Today I did a "correction" of the birthyears for Aun and his wife and his daughter. The rest of corrections is up to you people!

Private User
8/17/2012 at 1:23 AM

But you did not dare to adjust the dates to make him over 200 years when he died? ;-)
As Harald refers: Aun is mentioned in several sagas which differs. Having a single profile of him have to be a compromise of those sagas.

Private User
8/17/2012 at 1:33 AM

No, I do not made him 200 years old. 90 years old is enough for me.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion