Showing all 4 posts
7/19/2012 at 9:15 AM

Birth Date c. 1007 1009
Birth Location East Lothian, Scotland Dunbar, E. Lothian, Scotland
Death Date c. 1045 1045
Death Location East Lothian, Scotland

7/19/2012 at 5:41 PM

Sharon,
c. 1007 and 1009 overlap so i'd be inclined to merge as c.1009 if no sources are quoted.
Likewise Dunbar is a village(?) in East Lothian (county?) so the two locations are compatible. I'd list as "East Lothian, Scotland" and put a note in About Me explaining a possible Dunbar connection (again assuming there are no sources quoted).

7/20/2012 at 1:38 AM

Thanks so much for engaging on these - Alex Moes.
What I'm doing is logging the alternatives when I don't have the time to check them at the moment - so that I, or someone like you, can go back when we have the time, and the alternative data won't have been lost.

In each case - and especially the MPs - I choose the more likely - but sometimes MPs are just the best possible profile at the time; so it is possible for better data to arise.

Keeping a record of possible alternatives, so that the next serious researcher (or the manager ) on the profile doesn't work in a vacuum - seems to me to be useful.

I'm going to put this message on the other Alt Data discussions you added to as well; just as a way of explaining and encouraging others to jump in and do exactly what you just did for us on these. Thank you.

USERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO KEEP A LOG ON THIS DISCUSSION OF ANY DATA LEFT OVER FROM DATA CONFLICTS, IF THEY WANT TO FLAG IT FOR FURTHER RESEARCH BEFORE ELIMINATING IT.

7/20/2012 at 1:51 AM

Yes, I went with the fuller location. And I think we know the death date is not circa, as it was in battle if I recall.
But the circa birthdate seemed more likely to me - unless one of the managers has further info.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion