Folke "den tjocke" de Beaumont (Folkungaätten), Jarl af Sverige - Folke Digre

Started by Justin Durand on Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
6/12/2012 at 9:01 PM

Folke Digre is more usually said to have been a son of Ingevald Folkesson, son of Folke Fillebiter.

See, for example, https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!searchin/soc...

What is the evidence he was a Beaumont?

6/12/2012 at 9:10 PM

I believe no evidence at all. It seems this record is a mix of traditional medevial genealogy and mythology.

7/16/2012 at 1:26 PM

I know that Medlands has its weaknesses & as this is an area I'm not terribly familiar with am willing to concede to those that know better but to answer your question, this is where the information came from -

FOLKE "den digre/the Fat", son of ---. Brenner suggestors[1] that he was the same person as FOULQUES de Beaumont icomte de Montevrault, son of RAOUL de Beaumont & his wife Agathe de Vendôme. He is named "Fulko grossus, son of Ingewaldus, son of Fulko Fölbythe the pagan" in a 14th century genealogy compiled at Varnem Abbey[2]. Jarl in Sweden.

m INGEGERD of Denmark, daughter of KNUD II "den Hellige" King of Denmark & his wife Adèle de Flandre. Twin with her sister Cæcilie, they were left in Denmark when their mother fled to Flanders after their father's murder according to Saxo Grammaticus who also names her husband[3].

Folke & his wife had [three] children:

1. [ARNOLD [Arnulf] (-murdered [Gradehede 23 Oct] 1157). Galbert of Bruges records that "Arnoldus nepos Karoli comitis" claimed the county of Flanders in early 1128[4]. "Arnoldum nepotem Caroli defuncti ex sorore eius primogenita" is named in the Cartulaire de Saint-Bertin, which specifies that he unsuccessfully claimed to succeed to the county of Flanders in 1127/28[5]. If the mother of Arnold was "soror primogenita" of Charles Count of Flanders, she would have been his sister Caecilie. Saxo Grammaticus names Caecilie's sons Knud and Karl, and Ingegerd's sons Knud and Bengt, without mentioning Arnold at all[6]. It is not impossible that Arnold was an impostor, unrelated to Count Charles, who appeared after the count's murder, his Danish credentials presumably being difficult to disprove in Flanders at the time. At Ulfsborg near Ribe.] m as her first husband, INGERD Pedersdatter, daughter of PEDER Thorstensen from Pedersborg & his wife Cecilie Skjalmsdatter [Hvide]. She married secondly Vagn [Vogn].

2. KNUT Folkason . Saxo Grammaticus names Ingegerd's sons Knud and Bengt[7]. Jarl in Sweden.

3. BENGT Folkason "Snivel" (-bur [Varnhem Abbey]). Saxo Grammaticus names Ingegerd's sons Knud and Bengt[8]. Jarl in Sweden.

2/22/2013 at 3:15 PM

the "french theory" has really only been argued for by Brenner... it was heavily critized by scandinavian historians since day one...

there is a runestone on the grounds of the clan estate raised by a man called ingevald, ingewaldus is thus by most regarded as a real person... who his father was is as far as us viking age archaeologists goes, still a mystery... folke filbyter is seen as 100% legend by most modern swedish historians, a legend made up during the clans rise to true power. it makes sense since Varnhem Abbey and Monestary was a powerhub in their rise to power.

as far as i have been able to see Raoul IV never had a son named anything close to ingevald... though if this was made up by brenner himself i do not know.

personally i'd like this line to end by ingevald.... but even folke filbyter would be preferable to raoul IV

3/24/2013 at 9:09 PM

I agree, Gabriel.

Private User
3/25/2013 at 12:21 AM

I notice that Ingevald Folkesson is MP'ed without any other information than the name, but with a curator note about his parents.

If so certain may be sources information should be added to his profile?

3/25/2013 at 4:33 AM

Bjørn, If it can wait until tonight I'll drop in some material.

Private User
3/25/2013 at 6:16 AM

Thanks, - you know my opinion about "empty" Master Profiles ;-)

3/25/2013 at 3:36 PM

Did some cleanup. Added some notes. Let me know if you see a problem.

3/27/2013 at 10:55 AM

Why Ingewaldus "Folkason" and not "Folkesson" which is the correct swedish? I would also prefer Ingevald instead of Ingewaldus but of lesser importance.

3/27/2013 at 10:33 PM

Archaic forms. Original sources. If you want to "normalize" to modern Swedish I have no objection.

3/29/2013 at 12:12 AM

Ok, changing to "Folkesson" then. I also totally agree with Gabriel.

4/2/2013 at 7:56 PM

for future reference... It's not as much archaic as titulature... it's swedish with latin, sometimes pseudo-latin grammar... you know like gustafus adolphus was really called gustaf adolf, and Carolus von Linnæus was really called carl von linne, it's still practiced in some older institutions.

ps: original spelling is: Ingivaldr but pronounced ingevald as classic swedish has different pronunciation of many vowels than modern swedish.

4/2/2013 at 9:04 PM

Yes, Ingewaldus is the Latin form used by the only surviving reference to Folke as his son.

Fólkason is an archaic form for what would now be Folkesson.

4/3/2013 at 6:13 AM

yes there was little distinction between a and e as well as i and e in classic swedish

3/17/2014 at 2:50 AM

de Beaumont should be removed, until there is ANY evidence that he had ancestry from that family, and the (Folkungaätten) should be changed to the modern (Bjälboätten)

3/17/2014 at 9:35 AM

Dan, those name still appear in the title of the thread (which cannot be changed). They were removed from the profile a year ago.

12/27/2014 at 8:07 AM

A know its a little work, but wouldnt it then be more correct to delete this file, and create a new one, where "de Beaumont" is not in the thtitle?

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion