Olympic Profiles of the Day

Started by George J. Homs on Thursday, June 7, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 127 posts

That truly is an ambitious project!

My quick search on the Chinese medalists (the two swimmers) only returned their parents name, and some rumors about their ancestral homes. Is it still worth including (as a standalone of course)?

I can look at the Lithuanian but I don't know of general sites for Lithuania genealogy, other than for Jewish families or Americans of Lithuanian descent, so I doubt I'll get very far.

Ruta Meilutyte Working on her. I'll let someone else put her in the right project(s) when I'm further along.

Thanks Hatte Rubenstein Blejer - just ley me know when she is ready - fantastic! Private User I think it is worth having whatever you can find! A profile with information about them even with minimal tree is of interest!

I added her to the umbrella project. The About Mes are coming along and I have found all the family members I think I can find - her deceased mother, her paternal grandmother, her father, her father's partner, her two brothers. I know the age of her eldest brother. There's a nice human interest story there (not so nice, but touching).

Thanks Hatte - I have linked her to her result in the project and shifted her to the AQuatics result page - have had to split the events as they were just too cumbersome. Amazing story!

Michelle found one Olympian we have in our family tree
I hope I added him to correct subproject - he was ans probably still is best handball player of all time (choosen as such in 2010)

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer, thank you for mentioning Ruta Meilutyte! I've been loving watching her races. She's so excited to be there. :)

Henn Sarv, are there Estonian Olympians who should be included?

I found an odd story on the site of a Lithuanian disciple of an Eastern guru that mentions that Ruta's parents were divorced and that her fatther had used some Messiahist (their term) law to prevent his ex-wife from selling her family property in Kaunas. The story mentions him as an ordinary Lithuanian citizen, so it's not trying to take advantage on the family's current celebrity. The English is odd but I think the article was about the Catholic establishment persecuting other faiths, but particularly this woman and her meditation-based beliefs. She (the disciple) is said to be hospitalized in an institution. So it's a wacky story, but raises some questions about the story being fed the media :)

What?! Don't you dare ruin my idea that the media are always telling me the truth! Are you suggesting that they might lie in order to give a better story, thereby increasing their profits? Madness! Can't be true. ;)

Though I have to say, any story that comes courtesy of "a Lithuanian disciple of an Eastern guru" is one that I want to believe. :)

Yep!

Side note: I got a PM from a very (!) close relative of one of the Olympians I've been working on to say thanks for the work we're all doing on Olympic profiles. How great is that? :) Go Team Geni!

Private User That is a special thank you!

Yannick Agnel of France, anyone?

June I'm looking at Michael Phelps English lines and guess what I found - HUNGERFORDS.

Jane Forster

I'm going to crawl up the tree but in that family maybe we can find a nice eccentric?

Erica Howton - this is what I love about working on Geni - connecting people to other areas of interest! Wonderful. I have put the work on the Hungerfords on "Hold" - had to get the wedding and now Olympics out of the way but will pick up soon. Have you had any response from Patrick Robichaud who has duplicate Hungerfords - I have taken that merge/match/blue cross off and left the match - he has not responded to any of my messages.

Private User how good to get that sort of encouragement!

Ashley - I created special project:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Eesti-2012-aasta-suveol%C3%BCmpiam%C3%... (in progress)

and we have some list older

http://www.geni.com/projects/Eesti-ol%C3%BCmpiav%C3%B5itjad/1493

So I will include or recomend to include someone where "extremly important" into "Olympic Profiles of the Day"

Private User , this isn't my project but I wouldn't want your question to go unanswered, from my experience on the Titanic Project I would advise that you do stand alone trees for now and they may grow later as the project gets seen these things have a way of happening.

I have been communicating with Liu Terry Jackson (Switzer)

Thank you Private User !
叶诗文 Ye Shiwen and Sun Yang 孙杨

Thanks Terry and June. Can you confirm that they appear as non connected to the big tree?

Private User Yes Thank you - standalone fragments! Thank you!

Hands-down winner for the best name in these Olympics: Ranomi Kromowidjojo of the Netherlands.

Thank you, Henn Sarv! We'll have to point Private User to that list once you're ready.

Ranomi Kromowidjojo ? Well there we have a good ole fashioned Dutch name :)

Think this beats them all - Aliaksandra Herasimenia (BLR) Silver 100m Women's freestyle!

And Kromowidjojo set an Olympic record while winning gold in the 100m freestyle! It was an entire podium of great names.

The linguist in me is kvelling :)

Showing 91-120 of 127 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion