Relation to famous people

Started by Private User on Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 241-270 of 518 posts

I do, however it's easiest to search by each name, silly ipads are tough to copy-paste

Getting tired of getting all these request to fix profile. I know I am a manager but I have been merged so many times with or with me agreeing to it. Then these people start re oranging info and refuse to change it back ,even if you have proof you are correct. Plus they add there info not always correct or I wouldn;t be getting these requests! A lot of the ones back hundreds of years ago I only got as far as putting names in and maybe date before the rule changes. So I can't help anyone weather I want to or not. Plus even if I could I hate messing with other peoples info, a fact that seems to escape some other people. Even if I do end up joining , I will add info but will no longer merge or colabrorate with new people. Put this here because I didn't know where else to stick it. Judy

Me too Judy, I no longer merge or answer tree requests.... I only trust MProfiles with strong documented evidence that I can double-check myself, as an historian by academics it's the only way to verify.... Wish people would stop adding non-master profiles that clutter one's inbox and dviate the right paths.... If it weren't for me being related to e.g. Constantine the Great or Robert the Bruce through several distinct lines I would have become totally lost in the junk spam links.

It should be of little surprise that you would be related within 10 cousins to most people of your various genetic makeup. Frankly, once you get back to an English or Scottish King, your pretty well grandfather by every king in his ancestry. My chains go through all the Scottish Kings, most English Kings of Norman or Scottish descent, most Roman Emperors and all the Kings of Troy and Goshen. All of these were grandfathers of various degrees. All of this assuming your tree is relatively complete, even 20% or more should be sufficient to find direct links.

As a Cox, you are likely related to the Anna Cox family of Atlanta; very rich.

Peter, I have connections with Robert The Bruce , also. Interesting , like many families in the UK, his came with William the Conqueror and was orginally French. Many of my lines did that.

Jacqueline Bouvier is Monique Van Erkel-KÖHLER's great aunt's uncle's wife's brother's wife's brother's wife's second cousin once removed's husband's nephew's wife's brother's wife

http://www.geni.com/path/Monique+Van+Erkel+K%C3%96HLER+is+related+t...

Monique Van Erkel-Köhler - Thank you for posting your "shared paths" in this discussion. It allows others to create their path to that person, as well as others in the path.

Geni is about collaboration & sharing - and I wish more users would do the same - instead of just listing their famous relatives - thus helping others :)

Thank you Peter :)

Monique

Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize, 1986 is Monique Van Erkel-KÖHLER's great aunt's uncle's wife's sister's husband's aunt's husband's fourth great nephew's wife's second great aunt's husband's son

http://www.geni.com/path/Monique+Van+Erkel+K%C3%96HLER+is+related+t...

Is it just me, or is everyone finding out that every major king in history is my grandfather, and a few hundred others, so far?

The only way I feel I am related to anyone is by direct line not twenty times removed.

I agree Judy, I only follow direct descent lines unless I feel they are material to finding out quite how many various lines coalesce, or to find out how many times over I am related to the same famous (and infamous) individual Great Grandparents.... A great many names are direct Grandparents many times over through several generations and key more recent (<400 years).

I should clarify my last point, the most recent GGP's sub 400 yrs all merge via a few key women who had incredible lineages. In the Cleopatra lineage I supposedly even descend from Mohammed, which was a surprise. The Joakim -my Grandmother's maiden name (hebrew for YHWH-made/related/sent) is unique as a global merchant prince surname from Armenia via Dhaka and Calcutta, and that branch is as yet unresearched beyond one of my mother's cousins. Sadly I'd need to go to India to dig further into that branch.

The Joakim married my Grandfather's line (Dalrymple-Alford) the Dalrymple clan were originally the Dal Riata, or rulers of northern Eire and Western Scotland, they hold the many regal lines through Tudors, Plantaganets, Stewarts, Bruces, Viking/Norse, Danish, Anglo Saxon and Picts to name but a few.... That's before the many Roman/Holy Roman Emperors/Caesars.

A good valid example of certain key females in many of our shared genealogies is Margaret Tudor, Queen consort of Scotland (my 14th GGM) she is a GGM via more than one line into the Stewarts/Stewards of Scotland.... Interestingly she was the elder sister of Henry VIII and eldest surviving child (to adulthood) of Henry (VII) Tudor (my 15th GGF and peacemaker of the War of the Roses) had there been female succession, history would have been different and Charles i would not have become King, thus avoiding the English civil war potentially..... The regency therefore would not have existed. Odd how upon certain gender-related rules dictate history isn't it.

The Joakim name -in case anyone is interested or related- is actually Sephardi Jewish, though my Grandmother Eleanor (and my mother and uncles/aunts) was raised deep within the Catholic Church, and diligently attended Sunday mass her whole life, which as an historian would make perfect sense given the times of anti-semitism around her birth in 1918 in Calcutta, India.

Peter, I wouldn't worry about the Mohammad thing; lots of falsified lineages have been created to him, and most of the real one were bastards. Even his sons had thousands of women claiming to have had their children. Just think each generation you double your grandparents, so how many is that if you go 50 deep? Just count 2+4+8+16 etc 50X and that's how many 50th grandparents you have. You are equally related to a fiftieth cousin, just one goe sideways and the other deep, but both ways one is diluted.

I am a cousin to all of the US Presidents:

George Washington 8th Cousin 9 Times Removed
John Adams 8th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Thomas Jefferson 12th Cousin 9 Times Removed
James Madison 7th Cousin 7 Times Removed
James Monroe 10th Cousin 8 Times Removed
John Quincy Adams 9th Cousin 5 Times Removed
Andrew Jackson 10th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Martin Van Buren 20th Cousin 5 Times Removed
William Henry Harrison 12th Cousin 5 Times Removed
John Tyler 11th Cousin 6 Times Removed
James Knox Polk 8th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Zachary Taylor 7th Cousin 7 Times Removed
Millard Fillmore 14th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Franklin Pierce 9th Cousin 8 Times Removed
James Buchanan 19th Cousin 5 Times Removed
Abraham Lincoln 12th Cousin 5 Times Removed
Andrew Johnson 9th Cousin 8 Times Removed
Ulysses Simpson Grant 13th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Rutherford Birchard Hayes 12th Cousin 5 Times Removed
James Abram Garfield 6th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Chester Alan Arthur 11th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Grover Cleveland 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Benjamin Harrison 11th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Grover Cleveland 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
William McKinley 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Theodore Roosevelt 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
William Howard Taft 10th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Woodrow Wilson 14th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Warren Gamaliel Harding 12th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Calvin Coolidge 9th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Herbert Clark Hoover 14th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Franklin Delano Roosevelt 12th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Harry S. Truman 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Dwight David Eisenhower 17th Cousin 2 Times Removed
John Fitzgerald Kennedy 11th Cousin 5 Times Removed
Lyndon Baines Johnson 9th Cousin 8 Times Removed
Richard Milhous Nixon 14th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Gerald Rudolph Ford 15th Cousin 1 Time Removed
James Earl (Jimmy) Carter 9th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Ronald Wilson Reagan 15th Cousin 1 Time Removed
George Herbert Walker Bush 10th Cousin 2 Times Removed
William Jefferson (Bill) Clinton 15th Cousin 2 Times Removed
George Walker Bush 11th Cousin 1 Time Removed
Barack Obama 15th Cousin

I am also a cousin to all of the US Presidents except one, James Buchanan. The closest to me is Franklin Pierce 5th Cousin 6 Times Removed .. what makes this interesting is that I am Canadian from a family of Loyalists:

George Washington 9th Cousin 8 Times Removed
John Adams 9th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Thomas Jefferson 7th Cousin 6 Times Removed
James Madison 6th Cousin 8 Times Removed
James Monroe 10th Cousin 6 Times Removed
John Quincy Adams 7th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Andrew Jackson 8th Cousin 9 Times Removed
Martin Van Buren 17th Cousin 5 Times Removed
William Henry Harrison 8th Cousin 6 Times Removed
John Tyler 10th Cousin 6 Times Removed
James Knox Polk 15h Cousin 4 Times Removed
Zachary Taylor 9th Cousin 6 Times Removed
Millard Fillmore 9th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Franklin Pierce 5th Cousin 6 Times Removed
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln 11th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Andrew Johnson 11th Cousin 7 Times Removed
Ulysses Simpson Grant 6th Cousin 5 Times Removed
Rutherford Birchard Hayes 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
James Abram Garfield 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Chester Alan Arthur 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Grover Cleveland 10th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Benjamin Harrison 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Grover Cleveland 10th Cousin 3 Times Removed
William McKinley 8th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Theodore Roosevelt 7th Cousin 3 Times Removed
William Howard Taft 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Woodrow Wilson 15th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Warren Gamaliel Harding 8th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Calvin Coolidge 9th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Herbert Clark Hoover 7th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Franklin Delano Roosevelt 7th Cousin 3 Times Removed
Harry S. Truman 13th Cousin 4 Times Removed
Dwight David Eisenhower 16th Cousin 3 Times Removed
John Fitzgerald Kennedy 17th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Lyndon Baines Johnson 9th Cousin 1 Times Removed
Richard Milhous Nixon 12th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Gerald Rudolph Ford 9th Cousin 1 Time Removed
James Earl (Jimmy) Carter 9th Cousin 2 Times Removed
Ronald Wilson Reagan 15th Cousin 1 Time Removed
George Herbert Walker Bush 8th Cousin 3 Times Removed
William Jefferson (Bill) Clinton 13th Cousin 2 Times Removed
George Walker Bush 9th Cousin 2 Time Removed
Barack Obama 14th Cousin 1 Time Removed

Thereya go; with a complete database, you'd indeed discover you are relatively closely related within 6 degrees of separation as they say.

I suspect that my closest is Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA who is my Franklin D. 7th cousin twice removed.

Versus James Madison, 4th President of the USA is myr 6th cousin 8 times removed...

Or George Bush the father who has no "removes" at all! George Herbert Walker Bush, 41st President of the USA is my 8th cousin

Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the USA is Hatte Anne Blejer (Rubenstein)'s fifth cousin five times removed!

"what makes this interesting is that I am Canadian from a family of Loyalists ..."

That's pretty hilarious, Rhonda. I also believe that American presidents have closer ancestry to the Royal families of England than "most" people in Britain. In fact Burke's Peerage "predicts" the winner in US presidential elections based on which candidate has the closer "cousin" relationship to the Royals.

I have heard that theory also Erica... so according to Geni Barack Obama is Queen Elizabeth's 9th cousin 2xr and Mitt Romney is 12th cousin 1xr of the Queen and she is also my 11th c.

Using the relationship to John Lackland, King of England , Barack is his 23rd ggs and Romney is his 22nd ggs , and also my 23rd ggf.

Using King Edward III , he is Romney's 18th ggf and Obama's 19th and also my 19th ggf.

All the presidentts of the United States are related to each other.
Romney and Barack are 10th c 1r.
Romney is also my 14th cousin.

So my connection to royalty comes from my United Empire Loyalist ancestors, which I find interesting , since they were settlers of the 13 Colonies also, but chose to remain loyal to the British cause, sacrificed much through loss of their properties in the Colonies and re-settled in a country that was loyal to the Crown. In fact their migration was numerous enough to cause the creation of Upper Canada (Ontario).
Canada later gained it's independence peaceably with the passing of the Statute of Westminster.

You come from pioneers many times over, Rhonda!

I've been thinking about Bryan Hall's point of database completeness. I am beginning to show multiple paths to Geni profiles, which can look disconcerting, but is actually a result of tree density.

My wish is to show more and more - and find out more, too, about our amazing ordinary / extra ordinary ancestors and cousins, not just the famous ones.

From one of the world’s most widely read anthropology texts, Kinship and Marriage: An Anthropological Perspective by Robin Fox, "... we would find that 80% of the world’s marriages have been with at least second cousins."

Because towns and villages had relatively small populations , there were only third cousins or closer to marry.
" 9th century Englishman usually married a woman within five miles of home, the distance he could easily walk twice on a day off. The bicycle, says Fox, expanded the possibilities to a 25-mile range." So this causes pedigree collapse, where the genealogical lines fold back on themselves when people marry cousins of any degree. The further back we try to extend family trees, the smaller the available people pool becomes.

The sad part is that " out of all the people who ever existed, 90% are (record or identity wise) lost to us". So this makes it extremely difficult to find our ordinary ancestors, that aren't connected to royalty.

I am having some luck with descendants of the Normans who accompanied Wiiliam the Conqueror in 1066. This is the "landed gentry" class; some families later elevated to the peerage, some not, some died out in the male line - but their daughters carried the manors as dowery so it is traceable. And some are our direct ancestors and not a King or Queen in the bunch.

I ran out and bought a used copy of the book Rhonda-Lee Robin Allen Barber, U.E..

I am finding the same thing on both sides of my family, that in the 1600s and 1700s they lived in small communities where everyone was related by marriage after 100 or 150 years. I see the result of this in the multiple paths I have now to Early American ancestors and in the huge DNA overlaps I have with cousins who should not share so much DNA with me, but who like me are descended from a family who lived a long time in a teeny village, so I'm related to them many many ways.

Now we know why we are all cousins.

Showing 241-270 of 518 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion