Naming Conventions for Knights

Started by Justin Durand on Sunday, April 22, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-41 of 41 posts

Back to topic

For the Medal of Honor I have a project for them and I am putting all 3,500 + profiles in it. That way when you look at the profile you can tell he is a MOH recep.

I don't know if there is a list like the MOH, but it seems a project can be opened for each honor under the county they represent as a subproject of Military Awards and Decorations. That way when you find someone like Churchhill, he can be put into all 8 projects. Also you cou;d look at KG and see all the people that recv the honor.

You could them list him as the primeminister and still know what honors he had by looking at his projects.

I don't know how many projects that would take, but once set up profiles could be added as they are found without much trouble at all.

I don't think it lazy at all. It's a standard many users adhere to.

One advantage to the "member of project" is you can get quickly and easily obtain further information about the honor or award.

My usual comment - it's disappointing that Geni has chosen to invent the Projects feature to replace the standard timeline event of genealogical convention, which would normally be used to accomplish this.

There is a timeline in Geni, it can be applied to just one person or a group of people.

A project, allows people to work together to a common goal.

Put the link to the timeline event at the top of the Project, and use the Project area as the collaboration and work area.

The timeline event is the objective - the Project is a method of achieving it.

AncestorSync, gedcom, and other devices that rely on genealogical norms no longer apply to Geni, as Projects is now considered to be a permanent part of the tree.

In a project we tie people into one project based on something that did not happen at one time... EX all MOH form the cicvil war 'till present

In a time line you can tie people together based on what happened at one time.. ex tie all the passengers together pecause thay boarded the Titanic on the same day and tie only some of then together because they died on the same day

The easiest way to make such a larger time of people would be first to identify them in a project.

The projects helps in making a timeline.

The topic is "Naming Conventions for Knights"
Please open another discussion if you wish to continue on projects vs timelime

The genealogical convention is to use an undated timeline event in these circumstances. Geni displays them well. We have used this for the inhabitants of a village, for example.

It is the same topic. I intended to create a timeline event for Knights of the Garter, and follow conventions. Now, it is inappropriate for Geni.

Ken why not? It sounds terrific and analogous to the Projects George Homs is working on for other knight orders in Europe. He's on to the Irish "Wild Geese" in fact and I don't think there are any naming difficulties?

I just needed the tutoring and guidelines to be of better assistance, and I'm feeling more like a "finishing school graduate" every day. I also feel better about asking questions, so I really thank everyone interested in helping.

Showing 31-41 of 41 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion