John Carter "the Vintner" - Carter Y-DNA Results

Started by Holly Hampton on Saturday, April 14, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
4/14/2012 at 9:26 AM

As of March 2012 the Y-DNA for the Carter line of Robert "King" Carter has been established. It is identified as R1b-32 in the Family Tree DNA Carter Surname Project. The line of Robert "King" Carter is NOT a Y-DNA match with the line of Capt. Thomas Carter of Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Thus, John Carter "Vintner of London" could not have been an ancestor of both of these Carter lines.

It has been known for several years now that the Capt. Thomas Carter of Isle of Wight County, Virginia line is R1b-04 and the Capt. Thomas Carter of Lancaster County, Virginia (married to Katherine Dale) line is R1b-02.

So, these are three different Carter lines. At most, John Carter "Vintner of London" could have been an ancestor of only one of these three lines.

R1b - 02 : Capt. Thomas Carter of Lancaster County, Virginia married to Katherine Dale
R1b - 04 : Capt. Thomas Carter of Isle of Wight County, Virginia married to Eleanor Cooke (via William Carter of Surry Co VA)
R1b - 32 : Robert "King" Carter (son of John Carter "of Corotoman")

Private User
4/14/2012 at 6:26 PM

Thank you. I have recently had doubts about the Isle of Wight branch of the family myself.

Private User
4/14/2012 at 10:32 PM

Holly,
Do you have a link to a website publishing this Y-DNA data? Or, perhaps a published document? I would like to be able to quote sources when I go back and add this data to the profiles in question.

4/15/2012 at 9:03 AM
4/15/2012 at 9:07 AM

I have a .JPG diagram showing the Y-DNA triangulation of the two Carter lines but I don't know how to get a .JPG file to you.

Holly3060@yahoo.com

Private User
4/15/2012 at 10:06 AM

Do you know how to post a document as a source on a profile? If you post it to John the Vintner, I can work from it there.

I try not to give out my personal email address.

Private User
4/15/2012 at 10:37 AM

Holly,
I can use the link to the Y-DNA results you posted above.

4/16/2012 at 3:47 AM

No, I do not know how to post a document as a source on a profile.

I do not mind giving out my email address. Anyone who wants a copy of the diagram can send me an email and I'll be happy to email a copy to them.

Holly3060@yahoo.com

Private User
4/16/2012 at 9:37 AM

To post a pdf, jpg, etc., to a profile, go to the Media tab on the profile. If the profile does not have any images at all, click on the message "here are currently no photos of Maria Agnes Korte (Borgeding). Click here to upload photos of her."
If the profile already has images attached you will get a thumbnail of the images. Click on the add photos command.

No matter which way you are working, you will get a dialogue box for uploading the image. Select or create an album to hold the image -- this just sorts similar images together. Click upload.

In the next window, name the image -- Carter Y-DNA, for example -- and save.

Private User
4/16/2012 at 9:41 AM

oops! hit post reply too soon.

After you save the file, you will get a screen that has thumbnails of all the photos in that album. Click on the image you just created to open it. You will get a data entry area below the image where you can add details about the image.

PLEASE, if the work was not created by YOU, the photo not taken by YOU, etc., give credit to the proper person in the Description field. This will save copyright wars, will allow you to refer back to it for later questions, etc.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion