Judith-Anne-de-Lienard and Francois du Plessis

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, March 19, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-96 of 96 posts

Thanks Private User. Yes, the birthplace of Judith Anne du Plessis du Mornay is the same as this family: Buhv, Vetin, France; and the date c 1555 fits exactly. It suggests they must have been contemporaries & likely close cousins.
If we could do a proper search of the French records for her marriage to Jean du Plessis about 1575 in France, we might be able to decide who her parents are.

Unless Johann Wilhelm Grobler, PO Box 321,Rothdene,1964,South Africa was just making it up to fit into this family :-(

Let's hope that isn't the case, Sharon..After all it did happen before, when earlier researchers were trying to make the SA du Plessis line fit into that of the family of Cardinal Richelieu...It is sad though to see these connections disappear, as I know how many of us wish to be able to retain them...But they must be accurate..Or at least highly probable/possible.

i am on somthing about duplessis not in europe france but in martinique

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_du_Plessis_d%27Ossonville

maybe for our lost ancestors that we cant find nothing in europe we shearching in the wrong place

Danielle, I don't think we're losing any connections in Judith Anne - I just parked her there to remind us to look into the family and the area. But we all loved Charlette d'arbalesque's writing so much it would have berm nice to have that sideways link. Oh well :-).

Martin, I'll have to read that on Google translate once I get to my computer. Your ability to search the French sites is worth its weight in gold to us.

Oh I think I remember this one..And his connection to Liénard, which is one of the surnames Judith Anne has sometimes been given.

I have found a passage in M Boucher ((1981). French speakers at the Cape: The European Background. p 105-7) that links the French Huguenot, Charles Marais, SV/PROG to living in the area and worshipping on the Estate of Le Plessis- Marly.
(Charles names his Drakenstein farm "Le Plessis Merle")

"The Cape settlers from this part of France [From the Loire to the Channel] came largely, but not exclusively, from the towns and villages of coastal Normandy and from a rural quadrilateral with Paris, Orleans, Blois and L'Aigle at its corners. Indeed one refugee ship brought a party of French settlers from the United Provinces whose original homes, despite indications to the contrary by C. Graham Botha and J.L.M. Franken,' were all within the quadrilateral. The vessel was the Voorschooten of Delft, which sailed from Goeree on December 31, 1687 under the captaincy of Frans Villerius. ..

In the context of this voyage, Franken’s identification of the Cape farm Le Plessis Marie with a locality near Marie in Picardy is certainly wide of the mark. It was the refugee Charles Marais who perpetuated the name of his place of origin in the designation of the farm granted to him in 1688. He and his family came from the Hurepoix region of the Ile-de- France, south and south-west of Paris, and were members of the congregation worshipping at Le Plessis-Marly near Longvilliers, a village north-west of Dourdan towards the Rambouillet forest.
Le Plessis- Marly was the estate of the Duplessis-Mornays, the family which gave the statesman Philippe de Mornay, Sieur du Plessis-Marly to the Protestant cause in the troubled days of Henri IV. Le Plessis-Marly came into Philippe’s possession through his mother Françoise Crespin du Bec, Dame de Buhy et du Grand-Plessis-Marly daughter of Vice Admiral Charles du Bec Crespin, Sieur de Bourri and de Wardes. Formerly owned by her maternal aunt Jeanne de Beauvillier, Lady of Puyset and of du Plessis Marly Jeanne de Deauvilliers, the property was acquired by Francoise in June 1561.7

The church was chosen in 1601 by the royal commissioners Francois d’Angennes and Pierre Jeannin to serve the Calvinists of the Montfort- l’Amaury bailiwick, replacing an earlier place of worship at Garan- cieres-en-Beauce to the south-west.8 The Mornays made personal provision in 1606 for the salary of a minister and for the support of the poor. The church was included in the Beauce colloquy of the synodal province for the north-east of France and had close connections with the seigneurial church of La Norville in the Hurepoix, sharing the same pastor, Maurice de Lauberon de Montigny, for a number of years after 1626. The Paris temple had been sited in the Hurepoix before 1606, first at Grigny and later, in 1599, at Ablon-sur-Seine. both south of the capital, but with the removal to Charenton, Le Plessis-Marly and La Norville alone served the region…
The anti-Calvinist drive mounted by Louis XIV drove the pastor Jacques Rondeau of Le Plessis-Marly to England,11 while Charles Marais, his wife Catherine Taboureux and their children Claude,Charles, Isaac and Marie-Madeleine made their way to the United Provinces."

Showing 91-96 of 96 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion