Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
3/5/2012 at 5:47 AM

Margaret de Bohun, Countess of Devon
is my fifth cousin 19 times removed.

3/5/2012 at 10:16 AM

Taylor, in the reply to that message eminent genealogist Nathaniel Taylor expressed his doubts about the reliability of the connection:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/1997-09/...

"This line seems fishy both in the male-line descent from Bohuns and in the alleged marriage of Richard 'le Bon' to Margaret de Bohun. Victorian
"genealogists" crafting Anglo-Norman descents often wanted to have their cake and eat it too--that is, they hoped to show a male-line link to a
family of the Norman period, and then also 'prove' a maternal descent from a more recent (and often royally-descended) daughter of the main line of that family, as if to redouble the claim of some obscure modern family to represent an ancient powerful one. This fits that pattern and should cause one to be doubly insistent on proof of each individual in each generation of the alleged pedigree."

3/6/2012 at 6:57 AM

Margaret de Bohun, Countess of Devon fifth cousin 21 times removed.

Private User
11/3/2013 at 2:07 AM

An old discussion, but... Is the second marriage idea proved? Or no. If not, what do you say about getting it disconnected? >>>Margaret de Bohun, Countess of Devon is your 21st great grandmother. <<< Problematic describes the blocking effect to the correct path, and fishy is the smell. One may argue that her husband was mild-mannered Earl by day and swashbuckling seafarer by... day.

Private User
11/4/2013 at 1:37 AM

The Earls of Devon and of Hereford were important and thus well-documented families. The birth dates of Margaret de Bohun's Courtenay children, which are well attested in the genealogical literature, indicate that her eldest son Hugh was born when she was fifteen. The 'child' of Richard le Bon would have been born even earlier, when she was thirteen. This is improbable. She could not have been married to Richard le Bon because he apparently lived until 1357, during which time Margaret had about 17 children by Hugh Courtenay.

None of the merged My Heritage family trees mention another partner for Margaret de Bohun.

In my opinion, Richard le Bon should be separated from Margaret de Bohun, and given an 'unknown' partner.

Private User
11/5/2013 at 5:52 PM

Robert, while I agree with you (based on documentary evidence), there is one other practice of the good ol' days that hasn't been mentioned/ruled out as a possibility. The male ladder makes me suspicious. When high-born families have a financial crisis, they have been known to train one or more of their offspring in the fine arts of ... theft or piracy. Someone capable of bringing home the goods or loot. I was wondering if this is where the ladder came from, one of the Earl and Margaret's children trained and held apart from the rest of the family.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion