George Washington- Mother...Mary Ball - Washington.

Started by Private User on Monday, February 27, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
2/27/2012 at 4:31 PM

Who is messing with this profile.

You all have Lawrence Washington Jr, b: 1602-d: 1652 in Eng and Amphyllis Roades Twigden b: 1609, d: 1654 in ENG as his parents.

His parents were: Augustine Washington whi married Mary Ball on 3/6/1731 , George was born in 1732.
Marry ball was the only child of Joseph Matthaus Ball and "the widow Mary Johnson- Ball. Mary was raised by George Eskridge after both of her parents died.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!! you all are making a mess of this tree!!!!!!!

You all need to fix this:

Mary Ball Washington
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mary Ball Washington

Portrait of Mary Ball Washington by Robert Edge Pine in 1786.
Born November 30, 1708
Lively, Virginia
Died August 26, 1789 (aged 81)
unknown
Spouse Augustine Washington
Children George Washington, 5 others
Closeup of the Mary Ball Washington House (1772-1789) in Fredericksburg, Virginia

Mary Ball Washington (November 30, 1708 – August 26, 1789) was the second wife to Augustine Washington and the mother of George Washington.
Contents
[hide]

1 Life
2 Legacy
3 See also
4 External links

[edit] Life

Mary Ball Washington was born as Mary Ball on November 30, 1708 in Lively, Virginia, Lancaster County, Virginia. She was the only child of Joseph Matthäus Ball and his second wife, the widow Mary Johnson, whose maiden name and origins are not known. Fatherless at three and orphaned at twelve, she was placed, in accordance with the terms of her mother's will, under the guardianship of George Eskridge, a lawyer.

Mary Ball met Augustine Washington and they married on March 6, 1731. It was her first marriage and his second. Augustine had four children with his first wife, Jane Butler Washington; however, only two of them lived to adulthood. Together, Mary and Augustine had the following children:

George - (1732–1799)
Betty - (1733–1797)
Samuel - (1734–1781)
John Augustine - (1736–1787)
Charles - (1738–1799)
Mildred - (1739–1740)

George Washington's Family Chart listing his ancestry, siblings, and brief biographies can be found on the Mount Vernon website [1]

Augustine died in 1743. Unlike most widows in Virginia at the time, Mary Ball Washington never remarried. She lived to see her son, George Washington, inaugurated as President in 1789.

Washington's relationship with his mother may have been strained if she had been a Loyalist during the American Revolution, but that's mere speculation. Mary Washington was by no means poor. Her son, George, purchased her a grand house in Fredericksburg, Virginia. In her will his mother left him the majority of her lands and George was the executor of her will.

She developed breast problems that appear to be cancer and correspondence between doctors seem to show this. She died, perhaps from that breast problem of cancer, at the age of eighty-one.

Mary Ball Washington was buried, as she desired, on the Fielding Lewis plantation, near "meditation rock" that was close to the Lewis Fielding home. Tradition has it that this was her favorite retreat for reading, prayer, and meditation.
[edit] Legacy

There are many monuments to Mary Ball Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, where she lived from 1772 until her death in 1789.
The house purchased for her by her son George has been preserved by Preservation Virginia (formerly known as the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities) and is open to the public as a historic house museum. It contains a fine collection of antique furnishings, some with Washington family provenance.
Mary Ball Washington is buried near Kenmore, the former home of her daughter and son-in-law Fielding and Betty Lewis. Kenmore is also open regularly for public tours.
A monument to Mary Ball Washington was erected in 1833 and dedicated by President Andrew Jackson. It was left unfinished until a new one was dedicated by President Grover Cleveland in 1894. [2]
The University of Mary Washington, a public university in Fredericksburg, Virginia, was also named after Mary Washington.
The Mary Washington Hospital [3], is located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, named after this famous mother.

[edit] See also

Mary Washington House
Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library
The SS Mary Ball was a World War II Liberty ship.

2/27/2012 at 4:44 PM

Captain Augustine Washington

Back to normal. It appears to have been the result of a recent merge.

2/27/2012 at 4:47 PM

Would you please check the fields for George Washington, 1st President of the United States as well and make sure they have not been altered in the merge. They were locked and someone unlocked them. I locked them again so the curator will have to approve merges in the future, which is best.

2/27/2012 at 5:01 PM

Erica Howton Can you check that the path to George Washington, 1st President of the United States's great great grandfather whom you curate is still correct. The great great grandfather had been made his father in a merge.

Private User
2/28/2012 at 5:49 AM

Hatte,

Thank you. I have been working off line (off Geni) on this family line, that I am blood tied to on both my grandmother's father's side and my father's mother's father's side..... I live in VA, and "Sherwood Forest", in Stafford Co, VA built in 1810, built by Jane and Henry Fitzhugh, ( who I also have family blood ties to). Anyway the land was owned my Mary Ball Washington, a will/gift from her grandfather , and George, her son sold the land to the Fitzhugh's around 1778. The house "Sherwood Forest" and the lands are on the 2011 most Endangered Historical sites in VA.

So I have been working on the lands history and how to help save it from the wrecking ball. in addtion to how the families are interwoven, as most are here in VA.

Thank you for fixing this. I too thought that these profiles were locked by the "curators". I did send a note about this to the boy who appears to be the curator for George Washington's profile, and have not heard back from him. If I did not post this here, the same note that I sent to him, this may never have been fixed. And thank you too, Erica!
I know you two ladies will get this back on track.

2/28/2012 at 6:45 AM

Hi Terri

The Washington family tree needs a good spring cleaning. Just bear with me as I'm researching as I go along.

How does the Ball family look?

2/28/2012 at 7:46 AM

It's in excellent hands with you two clearly. I have no background so made the one fix after investigating what happened and called for help :)

Erica - this is an area where locking fields is critical. I wish we had relationship reversion already.

V
2/28/2012 at 8:04 AM

Thank You Erica for your efforts.
Yes, The Washington, and related Families, Tree was out of control.

V
2/28/2012 at 8:07 AM

I am not a Blood Relative. My Distant Cousin Adam Empie, Married into the Family via his Spouse, Virginia Gwathmey.
Knowing that this connection, however distant, to such an important, Historical figure is there, is important to me.

2/28/2012 at 8:13 AM

The more I learn about Washington, the more I admire him. I even started a (slightly silly, but meant to honor) side project:

http://www.geni.com/projects/George-Washington-Slept-Here

2/28/2012 at 8:29 AM

He's my seven cousin seven times removed ;)

V
2/28/2012 at 8:41 AM

President George Washington was someone you could look up too (and you still can)
He instilled Pride and Patriotisim (and still does)

Private User
2/28/2012 at 5:43 PM

I haven't been very active on geni lately so if someone wants to take over curating this profile I won't be offended.

2/29/2012 at 5:17 AM

It was really less the Presidential profile than his family "up tree" that needed attention, IMO. Private User and V, I would welcome some more proofreading? And links for any areas that look funky.

V
3/11/2012 at 8:12 PM

Since we last communicated, I too am now a Cousin (10th) to this Great Man.

3/11/2012 at 8:26 PM

One way I proofread is to walk the links, one at a time, between myself and someone famous, and ask myself at each connection - am I sure about this? If I can't answer that with a yes, I know there's more work to be done.

Private User
3/12/2012 at 7:06 AM

Erica, I do the same thing! BTW, I have come across a book that has a letter from GW in it. I will post it sometime today, as this is still a work day for me! LOL . The letter dates back to after-or around the Revolutionary War in Mass. I have just bought a house in North Attleboro, Mass. The home was built around 1720-1730 by the Everett family. I got it for $1.00 as they were going to rip it down to build a "parking lot" but the town stopped them. We are bringing it back to VA.
in doing the research on this and the other families that lived in the house, which is only 3, I found a book from around 1910 written by a great-great grandchild of one of the Everett's. The note is a dinner invite from GW to a young Lieutenant Everett, the nephew of one of the owners of the house. As I said, I have an "email" copy from on of the family members. This family does not seem to be on Geni, but I would like to do a project on here with the genealogy on the house. Can you tell me how best to do this? I am getting old deed info, and other family history that will help, in addition to some old wills and other information. Please drop me a note, and let me know.ok
Best to all and thanks for "cleaning this up. I wish I had more time, as there is a lot of "cleaning up" that needs to be done. We need to re-post- the "spring clean -up" from last year. : )

V
3/12/2012 at 7:09 AM

Can`t wait to see this!!!!!

3/12/2012 at 11:45 AM

We've thought about "house genealogy" before and in fact make a start at it with the "oldest homes in Massachusetts" and it's sister projects. So let's come up with a jazzy name for this project and start the Everett tree perhaps with a DAR record - do we know his first name?

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion