Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 181-210 of 1546 posts

I see the error in our logs, I'll see what I can do.

I released a fix.. it may end up kicking the can down the road, so let me know if the problem just moves to a later step in the merge/compare flow.

Thanks Mike. Technical Difficulties error seems to be fixed. I can now compare profiles when comparing tree matches. I haven't yet found a match so when I find one, will let you know if there are any errors performing the merge.

Mike Stangel - 2 accidently deleted profiles - I got the email notification - but the Undelete - does not currently seem to work:

András Hajdu has deleted the profile for Josef Pick. If necessary, you can use the link below to add him back:

http://www.geni.com/c/52c4cb8baa82489c1749130f61afeee0d209082f?u=ht...

Clicking on the above link - geve me:
Oops !
The page you are looking for could not be found.
Try searching for it in the address bar above.

Peter, does this link work for you? Josef Jonas Pick

Oops, okay try adding this after "www.geni.com" in your address bar: /people/Josef-Pick/6000000015219990731

Mike Stangel - thanks Mike - I was able to Undelete them :)

For the very starters on this genius-platform, whis no dictionaries in their kitchen-kabinets, but like to follow this discussion too:

TOS : Terms of Service ~ ‧ ~ . ~ 利用規約 ~ Algemene Voorwaarden ‧ ~ ‧ ~ Terminos servitium ~ Contrat de service ~ . ~ Terme van die diens ~ Kushtet e shërbimit ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ Условия предоставления услу ~ ‧ ~ Qaydalar ~ ~ ‧ ~ Όροι της υπηρεσίας ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ Nutzungs-bedingungen ~ ‧ ~ Termes del servei ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ תּנאָים פון דינסט ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ ‧ ~ & Cetera ‧ ~

Maybe wise to add these and other basic translations of these statements to a -new?- project-page-paragraph about Service agreements you pay for after becoming a PRO? Good advocates amongst the C's could help to edit this page in undercast or CAPITALS, fat or …whatever lettertype, scripts or distinction‥ before the staff brings it to a printer for eternal quarrels about payments in any currency. As long as there is a 'flappen-tap' in that region we can go for foods & drinks ... and dancing on wooden shoes ofcourse!

❥-jMu—›

The 'add to project' is not working correctly.

Private
The option to 'add to project' was not featured in drop down menu on this profile.

Frequently with 'Add to project' from a profile a 'look alike' window will open (much larger than the usual one, positioned to left of the screen).

The check box on this 'look alike' does not offer a project list nor will it accept text.

@Michael Alan Stangel could you take a look.

Yes I will!

The non responsive page that loads is because the profile hasn't completely loaded yet - you have to wait until the page is completely loaded - usually after the 'external record matches" is shown. Difficult to wait those seconds when we are used to things being so instant!! This happens when you want to edit the About section as well, and I have also found the same thing happen when changing birth order.

Yes, June, I've also learned to wait (impatiently!) for the 'page load' to fully complete. (the "window/tab icon' is usually "spinning" while the page is still loading -- some times clicking on a different tab an click back seems to make it "finish" sooner, but it's hard to do a controlled experiment!).

I want it NOW!!!!! The way of the world!

June and Dan, I wonder if the reason the non responsive page that loads is actually due to the profile not yet completely loaded as you indicate.

All the instances I refer to here involve a new place holder profile that is already on the screen. About Me probably completed, and very often 'relationships detached' or not.

It doesn't seem to matter at which stage of profile construction the 'add to project' is attempted. Sometimes the non responsive page loads, others the profile is added to the project perfectly.

I keep a manual listing of all the place holder profiles after detaching so can refer back to those not added to a project. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the appearance of the non responsive page. Sometimes those profiles will add to a project at a later stage, other times it takes a few more attempts.

It sounds to me like network issues including connectivity between different databases.

Don't know if this is a related problem or not, but it's beginning to become VERY annoying:

Very often I can't add a date or place to an existing profile and have to reload the page more than once.
It seems to be related to the page not being fully loaded the first time, but that takes far too long...

Same is the case with the 'relationships' tab

Mike Stangel I share rvk's report and believe it's worsened since the 21 June release.

Thanks, we're looking into it.

Pam you cannot add Private to projects because ti's a private profile -- only public profiles can be added to projects.

Oooops. And I added that profile!
Thanks Mike.

Erica or rvk, I've had a hard time reproducing the long page-load problem. I have a few questions:

1. Is it detected by seeing "waiting for www.geni.com" in the status bar at the bottom? Or some other status text?

2. Does this happen on only profile pages, or other pages as well?

3. Is it reproducible on any single page / URL?

thanks,

Mike

1. No status bar update I've noticed on iPad or Safari on MacBook.

2. Profile view - basics tab, relationships tab, timeline. Also in the documents modules (separately reported) and add images module, both profiles and projects, date and location stamping.

3. Varies with time of day, I believe - part of why I'm believing it's networking connectivity.

1. so how do you know it's happening, other than pop-up boxes not loading correctly? How long does it take for the page to finish loading?

1. a. I will enter a date value ensuring its not greyed out and shows in the box. Save, proof read. The value did not save.
1. b. The date value "box" 00/00/00 never shows.
1. c. Locations seem to have a mind of their own. Sometimes the auto complete function is available. Sometimes only on "2nd pass.". Not at all lately in timeline, docs, images. (n.b. I tend to use it and then edit for more precision.)

So you're seeing this primarily on the profile Edit Basics screen?

And edit relationships perhaps even more. And docs and images.

Relationships are no doubt timing out trying to search for a cycle. Docs and images -- what's the symptom?

The autocomplete for locations does not present at all on first pass. Sometimes becomes available after save and reload. In timeline never presents.

This may be only a translation issue but I am now seeing Edit Location Details and other fields round there in a non-English language.

See for example http://www.geni.com/tr8n/phrases/view?translation_key_id=195258

It seems the English (UK) translation of "Edit Location Details" is now "legg til stedsdetaljer"

Showing 181-210 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion