Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1321-1350 of 1546 posts

The add to project is also working now.

Erica Howton

I am wondering if the message delivery function is also affected.
"Please wait" remains on the screen and message is not subsequently shown as having been sent.

Some profiles are now unobtainable, and show up as blank boxes in tree view.

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000009593288034

I suspect they are the existing profiles modified by a new member who made changes, realised they had made a mess, and closed their account.

I had just offered collaboration, but now viewing messages results in 'We are experiencing technical problems'

Private User There seems to be a more general issue with blank boxes ("ghosts") in tree view that don't show up in other views at all.

Your problem may be related to the general problem which Geni has been made aware of and is investigating.

Private User Geni is having database problems and they are working on it. Just go on to something else for now.

Got my own problems, which I've been hollering at Customer Disservice about for two days.

The "Edit Relationships" function is borked for me - parents and *sometimes* spouses show up (this is not guaranteed), but children *never* do.

See if you can see any children on the "Edit Relationships" page at this link: John Waters of "Waters Lotte"

There should be a lot of them. I can't see any. And I'm supposed to be his manager, and I'm a Pro User.

Windows XP, Firefox 18.0.2, and Flash plugin 11.6 r602. I already tried going back to previous version of Flash - that had absolutely no effect.

Feh - seems that's not the issue. :-P

Looks like database corruption around Mary Griffith Linthicum - and it's slowly spreading.

Somerset Rawlings Waters is affected also - he displays in tree view, his siblings to the left display, his wife does not and no children do.

Click on "Edit" and you get "We are experiencing technical difficulties".

Mail has not been able to be retrieved for 3 days - We are experiencing technical difficulties. The person attempting to join the tree has given up.

We've found a work-around - mail can be retrieved by clicking on the email link, but not within Geni.

Private User and others too,

Is this maybe a signal that GENI should invest more in learning new users how to deal with this very specific platform and the way you should behave and communicate with other managers of profiles? I am very glad Fred Bergman and I still invest a lot of time invitating users we could consider to speak our language to ask them, --without following them, that is scaring when you start exploring a new internet-domain-- to join our http://www.geni.com/projects/index/4077 or --when it was likely they co-managed also historical Dutch profiles--
http://www.geni.com/projects/index/5657. It gave them a change to read a first introduction of what others might expect and like or unlike and how we can help each other, also without curatores who can better safe their spare volunteers-time to be helpful in more complicated questions.

And with starting several 'Coffee Corners' I hoped to encourage also co-operation and communication between users who might be unable to read or write the Brittish or American language. A lot or curatores did not understand that point of view, but I think It made it a lot more easy to understand how this database-machine works out in interventions in data-changes in more direct personal relatives... For it starts and ends with confidence in your geni-mates.

Mike Stangel ... I also see the problems which Private User reports for the Tree Views surrounding the profiles mentioned above (i.e.: http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000019432809492 and http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000019432484231).

It doesn't seem to be related to the 'focus' person of the Tree View; there are just the same surrounding profiles which don't seem to ever "load", no matter which of the "visible" (loaded) 'focus' persons are selected in that area. (Also happens with Google, so it's not a FireFox-specific issue.)

(duh, Chrome browser).

I have problems with documents -url's mostly- linked to projects. Can't open them.

I wound up isolating that section of the tree, by disconnecting Dr. Richard E. Waters from his wife M. Hamilton Waters . Will reconnect them when, and if, Geni gets that section unborked.

For few days, in different browsers, using different users (me and my wife) - http://www.geni.com/list/requested_merges?merge_center_collection=r... - creates this "technical diffuclties" message. Any help?

FYI all: The link Arvo posted will generate a different list for each user. (For example, my list is currently 0 and displays fine.)

Geni staff *can*, however, investigate a specific user's list to check for problems. Thanks for the note, Arvo; hopefully that will be helpful to Geni in checking on this issue.

Nope, Arvo, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. I also tried clearing cookies (which are supposed to be cleared, all of them, everywhere, every time I shut down Firefox), but that didn't help either.

Mary Griffith Linthicum isn't close enough to be found under "My Relatives" - she's under "Followed By Me" and "Managed By Me" as a Tree Conflict. It's the only Tree Conflict I have in those categories, because it's the only one I can't fix. And I can't fix it because Geni can't find her husbands *as* husbands - and can't display anyone around her in Tree View.

I really do not think the problem is on my end.

Maven no I believe it's a Geni database issue from a few days ago (not repeated). Geni is aware and working on the fix. As you have already, links to profiles help them.

Regarding Mary Griffith Linthicum 's husbands:

Mercer Brown shows up as a total isolate (just him and blank boxes for parents).

And Ignatius Waters shows up only as the son of M. Hamilton Waters - in the isolated, borked tree segment. (There's a blue box for "husband" next to Mary Griffith Linthicum, but I don't know which one it is and neither does Geni - it calls him "No Name" if I try to move Ignatius on top of him, and the box info never loads.)

"Borked": Urban Dictionary

4. borked

When something isn't working, or messes up. Can also replace the 'F' word when used to express annoyance or frustration.

Also applicable: borking, bork
"Man, my computer keeps borking up!"

"The whole project was borked, so I had to start over."

"What the bork are you doing?"

I would like to be able to move the profiles that do work out of the borked section, but I don't know how - so I'm leaving bad enough alone.

According to Justin Swanstrom, he "inherited" some of the profiles in that section (also a few in the section that's still good) from William Harden Waesche, Jr. - and when I merged into that section, he supposedly took the opportunity to shove them off on me. Problem is, I don't think some of them transferred management correctly - possibly related to the database issues.

Figured out how to salvage the salvageable profiles, but it was a tedious pain in the tokus. The Borked section is now quite small, and each of the profiles that actually displays a name at all is tagged with BORKED so hopefully no one will try to merge into that section and make matters worse.

Now it's up to Geni to get that section unBorked.

Mike Stangel - is the cause of this due to - slow Geni response (temp. problem) ??

in my - Recent Activity

1) Dowloading stories active bar appears for 1-3 seconds -- followed by:

2) There was a problem retrieving your newsfeed.
Click here to try again

3) after refreshing the screen 3-6 times -- activity appears - but same can happen at the bootom of the Activity page, when you click on the More bar

** any one else experiencing this problem ?

yes, exactly the same problem

Peter Rohel (c) we're working on the problem.

After yesterdays wonderful Geni response times, today there are frequent response problems ... lots of 'timeouts'. It is not just the newsfeed.

no, indeed, it's not just the newsfeed.
and what's more it's a recurring problem.

Dups aren't working right either....and sometimes I get a message that tells me I cannot access the webpage...but then it comes up if I 'go back'....

The 'newsfeed' seems to come and go....sometimes I get it back if I go to discussions and back to home page...sometimes not.

Dups aren't working right either....and sometimes I get a message that tells me I cannot access the webpage...but then it comes up if I 'go back'....

The 'newsfeed' seems to come and go....sometimes I get it back if I go to discussions and back to home page...sometimes not.

Geni mail system is double and triple sending, and tripping out with a "lost connection" while it does it.

Showing 1321-1350 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion