Technical difficulties?

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 16, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 331-360 of 1546 posts

Dan Cornett Brian and I released a fix for the marriage event location lookup... let us know if you have any more problems.

@Brian G.
all of a sudden it's back to normal again...

My newsfeed is unpredictable again.
Most of my notifications (when adding profiles to projects) are being listed in revisions, or not listed at all. Notifications of new profiles added to the tree are often missing from the newsfeed.
Could someone from Geni have a look at it for me please. Mike, I think you investigated this previously. Thanks.

re: Marriage event location lookup - works now. Thanks!

It is no longer possible to Save changes to the Filter settings on the Home Page - Recent Activity . I have tried on several browsers at multiple institutions. Can click on "Filter", get drop-down menu, can click on a check and have it disappear - when click on "Save", nothing happens.

Is this the wrong type of technical difficulty for this discussion?

Lois, it's fine to post that here. This works for me, so the most likely culprit is your browser "cookies." We have a page that will conveniently log you out and clear your Geni-related cookies -- make sure you know your password so you can log back in, then try this link: http://www.geni.com/login/clear_cookies

When you log back in, try the news feed filters again and let me know whether that fixes it.

Mike - will check it again when I get home at the institution I use most often there.

On this library computer - yes, sort of - that is -- it does a one time fix, and then if I want to change the filter again (change my mind, mistyped, or whatever) - I have to use your baby again - is this how it is supposed to work?

No, you shouldn't have to clear your cookies every time. You can get a list of the cookies we've set (among other things) at http://www.geni.com/assets_test.html -- it might be worthwhile to capture this while you're having the problem, so I can try to identify the Cookie Gone Bad.

This error appears intermittently when 'Inviting a profile to join a project'.

window.location.href = "/error";

A red notification also appears between double red lines on these profiles, running across the top of the page "You do not have permission to view this profile".

Pam are you doing this from the profile page, or from the project? Is it consistent with certain profiles?

Thank you Mike. This is happening from the profile page. The problem arrears to be in the action of adding profiles through "Invite to Project" with a non collaborative manager.

Profiles are added to any project only once. Hundreds of profiles can be added to each project, so the problem is not consistent with any particular profile, nor project.

Message reads :
xxxx is part of the following projects
next line... window.location.href = "/error";

Closing that screen with "Done" returns to the profile page and running across the top, the message:
"You do not have permission to view this profile".

"Add to Project" works perfectly.

Mike, could it be a bug?
My activity is hardly being recorded and also hover over profile is not working properly.

No activity is being recorded on my home page, 106 profiles have been added to projects today.

Pam Karp, I can't replicate your home page issue. Can you message me a screenshot of what you are seeing? Did you try all the usual suspects like clearing your cache and restarting your browser?

@/6000000012517954658
Thank you Michelle for trying. I use three browsers, all show me the same results. A screen shot of the home page will be forwarded to you.

Michelle,
It seems that all my activity is listed in the Revisions on my home page instead of being recorded in Recent Activity.
Could this perhaps be the problem?

location lookup discrepancy:

When using the "Add (relative) to (person)" panel overlayed on the Tree view, the COUNTRY and STATE/PROVINCE fields are abbreviated (at least for US states).

When the same location is defined/edited from the "Edit Profile" page, those same values are not abbreviated.

It is also a minor irritation that the fields of the 'Add' panel (e.g.: expanded place name) do not allow/support the browser's recall of previously entered values (particularly useful for cemetery names).

Mike Stangel -- search from the top "search box" is not working for me at the moment. The "google-like" matches are working, but when I type any 'unmatched' name the <Enter> key does not cause a search to take place (that is, I can't search at all!).

Thanks Dan, we'll check it out. It's working for me -- odd, because we're both using Chrome. Question: if you press Ctrl+Shift+J to open the JavaScript console, do you see any errors other than "Port error" ?

Dear Tech Gods and Goddesses,
Interesting problem with documents: When I click on "View All" documents on the media tab (example: John Austin Coburn ) I get this: http://www.geni.com/profile/documents/6000000017327888105 which tells me there are no documents to display for that person. All the documents are actually there and accessible through the "Sources" tab, but this is something that should be fixed.

Also, the auto-complete function in the edit document feature is still very intermittent. At one point I thought it might be a bandwidth issue on my part, but after testing it under a variety of circumstances (sole user vs multiple users on my system) I think it is something else.
Thanks,
Jessie German

Mike Stangel re: failing search - error shows as "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method '_trackEvent' of undefined "

... it seems to be related to whether "Google Analytics" is blocked or not. Works when NOT blocked :-) ... doesn't matter if the "Facebook Connect" is blocked or not.

Jessie & Mike

I see the documents fine on Safari on iPad, cracked and aging at a year.

Jessie - awesome work!

Jessica Marie German -- there is a Feature Request in for this ... at the present time "Source" documents (of any type) are not considered as "Media".

I agree that "media" which are tagged as "Sources" ought to show up in both places (since many, if not most, "Documents" are a "media" [picture, movie] rather than just a text document) -- and that when adding a "Source" to a profile one can search for "Media" already uploaded to use for citations.

Hmm, Dan I suspect that might cause all kinds of problems. I'll mention it to our JavaScript guru but we might not be able to fix it, if the problem originates with the Google Analytics connection getting cut off.

Mike Stangel, and Dan,

Ummm, I've used this before with profiles that have more than five documents, and it always worked, so not sure what you're talking about. It would open a new page displaying all documents associated with that person, as the link indicates it should, being in the documents section of the page, not the pictures or video section of the page.

Also, thanks to Erica! I am big on documentation ;)

Dan, what tool are you using to block Google Analytics? I'm told that it should work if you install this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fllaojicojecljbmefodhfapm...

Jessica, I see six documents when I click http://www.geni.com/profile/documents/6000000017327888105 -- are you saying this page is telling you that there are not documents for Coburn?

Mike Stangel,
Weird! Here is a screenshot of what I see, just checked it again! http://www.geni.com/photo/view?photo_id=6000000017344142015
Hope that helps.
Jessie

Hey Mike Stangel & Co. just wondering, are photos that I were to post on geni.com publicly accessible to other geni users?

Only if you tag public profiles in them.

Showing 331-360 of 1546 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion