Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private
9/19/2011 at 8:41 PM

I read the following post:
9/12/2011 at 1:32 PM

Angus Wood-Salomon - re: "To merge profiles both of you must have agreed to the merge." -- Not true.

1) If profiles are Public, any Pro can now merge them, nobody's agreement required.
2) If both Profiles are in the Pro's family group, even if both Private, the Pro can merge them. And before they limited merging to Pros only, this was true of anyone -- if both Profiles were in your Max Extended Family, you could merge them, did not need anyone's agreement/permission.
3) If the merge of private ProfileA and private ProfileB was agreed to by someone (anyone) in the Max Extended family of ProfileA, then it could be completed now by any Pro in the Max Extended Family of ProfileB (or any Pro manager of ProfileB) - and before the restriction of merging to Pros only, by anyone in family of ProfileB or any manager of ProfileB.

Please note - with Pros being able to merge Public Profiles without permission - this means they can choose to merge one with, for example, their 3rd great-grandparent, making them family for several generations down, so do not need anyone else's permission to edit, merge, etc. those profiles, even if they are private - because they are now within their Max Extended Family.

Interesting enough I had gone to the HELP section and found that to merge, one needed the acceptance of the other manager of a tree via a request. I won't quote it here, but have it stored on a word doc. I am disappointed that others can merge my tree into theirs, then go in and change my validated information to their unvalidated, incorrect information. My work I have done is being corrupted, and it is disappointing. I would never do a merge unless I requested and got permission first, but the other party involved just says that I should not have had it public. Lame excuse, but if Geni has it set that way, I can do nothing now except start a whole new tree unless the curators have some other advice, like how to undo a non-permissioned merge?
Thanks for any help.
CindyR

9/20/2011 at 8:30 AM

Cindy,

Great post.

One of the curators could probably help you get things back in order but before I volunteer myself or others what period of history are the bad merges occur in and in what country? For example if the profiles involved in the bad merge happened in Norway I'd direct you to one curator for help but if they happened in California I'd direct you to a different curator to help.

9/20/2011 at 8:34 AM

Also the curators can only fix what they can "see" so the profiles would have to be "public" profiles accessible to the person helping you fix the bad merges. If they are private profiles then I believe that you'll need to work with the customer service department of geni by logging a ticket with them to resolve the issue.

Private
9/20/2011 at 8:50 AM

Much appreciation for your reply. Both myself and the person that did the merge are in the US. I am in Utah, the other person is in Texas. As for period in history, this merge occurred Sept. 15, 2011, if this is what you mean.

Private
9/20/2011 at 8:52 AM

I can change them back to public so it can be fixed, whatever it takes. Just let me know what to do, I will do whatever you ask if it can fix it.

9/20/2011 at 9:18 AM

Cindy,

It sounds like the ancestors of your and the ancestors of the person in Texas were probably living in the USA. If that is correct then I can probably help as most of my research is in USA trees. Yes if you could make the non-living profiles only back to public that will be needed for me to see them. If you'd prefer you can message me back directly by clicking on my profile and then clicking on the "Send message" icon (the envelope) with a link to your ancestor and an explanation of the nature of the current problem and the proposed fix I'll take a look at it for you.

9/20/2011 at 9:24 AM

To send me a link to your ancestor you would be viewing their profile and copying the web page address of that profile and then pasting that web address back into any message that you would be sending me. For example the geni web address for the inventor Thomas Alva Edison, Inventor . Starts with http:// and ends with this this big long number: 6000000002447264491 You'll be sending me that but with your ancestor instead of Thomas Edison:)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion