Elsie Jacowhoba CLOETE

Started by Private User on Monday, September 19, 2011
Showing all 7 posts
Private User
9/19/2011 at 9:47 AM

Germany, Netherlands. Back to school!

1648 - pure invention, her parents were married in 1650. See Familia 2009, no 1.

Mitchels Plain, Western Cape - what on earth does that mean for 1702? This is the same as saying the Eastern Roman Emperors ruled from Istanbul, which would be stupid.

AFAIK, her death can only be stated to be between 1700-2.

Private User
9/19/2011 at 9:58 AM

Yes the locations some people use is interesting Donald. I share the same frustration. We are working on building out a place timeline and we will probably need to review all profiles somewhere in the future for accuracy in this area. Your comments are timeous. If you would like to help with the project which we created a few days ago to help with this you are invited..

http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-Stamouers-Progenitors-ZA...

So much to do here on Geni.

Private User
9/19/2011 at 10:00 AM

Agree that since she was Christened on the ship a more appropriate Birthdate will probably be c1651. Do you agree Donald? See how the collaborative effort is helping to get things right and keep them right..

Private User
9/19/2011 at 10:14 AM

I added her on our DDD-project, maybe someone in the Netherlands met her before....

9/19/2011 at 11:08 AM

Yes, unfortunately some people are more inaccurate than others. That is why there are traffic rules as well. Take, for instance, the middle name, which should, in all probability have read "Jacoba". Mostly, nowadays, typing errors and laxity.

Private User
9/20/2011 at 1:41 AM

Naude, and this is why Geni's model of collaboration is doomed. Write/Edit access must be strictly limited to subject matter experts. Which of course gets us to 'who watches the watchers?'

One expert is worth 10,000 beginners when it comes to Truth, which can be oppressively un-democratic, ag shame.

According to the Familia article she was baptised Adelheid in Odt in 1655. So, what ship in c 1651? Adelheid only, so not sure where Jacoba came from - but this is not uncommon.

What this area was called then I don't know, but it can't be too hard to discover.

I have had the film for months, but too busy to look so far. What I find really surprising is that this 'research' was done without the church records being here.

Private User
9/20/2011 at 2:45 AM

Donald, to appreciate how wrong you are about our collaborative model you would need to go back a few years and understand what came before what we have today. You may appreciate that thousands of people building their own little trees and merging them brings all sorts of challenges. Also errors.

We have the tools in place already for the type of validation that you are expecting. However we have not started using them. Currently our focus is not so much on the data as is in getting the structure right. For addressing the issues on dates for instance, there are many solutions and they will come into play as we go along.

You keep on wanting to apply the thoughts and ideas that you have on your own database to Geni (as we all would like to do most days), but this is different. What you miss is that all the dates we could possibly come up with for Jacoba is pretty already represented on the revisions on her profile. At some point we will all agree to agree or disagree and lock those fields based on sources provided. (Yes we also like sources.. but we are not where we are going yet.)

Please join the effort and continue to help us improve things, as you are. It is appreciated.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion