Possible connection to Robert Burns in Brampton

Started by Barry David Christie on Monday, September 12, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
9/12/2011 at 2:42 PM

This is a bit of a longshot but my grandfather was always adament that we were related to Robert Burns.

It is only in the past 4 years that I have really taken an interest in my family history and that this possible connection has really hit a chord.

Initially, I could find nothing, my grandfather has lived in Boldon Colliery near South Shields for all his life, he grew up in 43 Church Street in Boldon, same house his father was born in, and the same house his granfather moved in.

I recently found a shock discovery that my great great great grandmother also lived in that house. She was named Ann Eliza Urwin (possible its Elizabeth Ann, or Annie Eliza just to complicate things), she appears to had the name Ann Eliza Todd from her first marriage but her maiden name I was shocked to find is Burns. This made the whole thing a lot more plausable but unfortunatly she is a little difficult to nail down due to multiple marriages and moving around a lot while she was younger. On different Census returns she lists her place of birth down as both Brampton and sometimes Whitehaven. She appears to have gotten married both times in the area of Brampton. She also lived in Farlam for a period of time. its possible that the marraiges are registered in the area of Brampton and that the village of Farlam is the location. Not sure, don't own marraige certificates just yet.

I would apreciate any help researching this connection but at this stage I am not certain as to whether I am decended from Robert Burns himself, a brother or sister, or even a cousin. Seems more plausable that a connection can be found somewhere, still can't find one yet.

3/11/2012 at 4:20 PM

My grandmother, Doris Ivy Mae Burns, claims to have been related to Robert Burns as well. I have yet to start research on this side of my family, but will follow your research until i have time to study it, if you don't mind. My grandmother was born in Birmingham, but i doubt that will help much. i think her father's name was Anders. I will look that up and get back to you.

Luci Joy Evans Chambers

3/11/2012 at 6:09 PM

Second post: My great grandfather Burns' first name was Albert, not Anders.

4/16/2012 at 12:00 PM

Hi Luci,

Lots of Good information on relations to Burns exist. If you have a fairly recent connect to the surname of burns you stand a good chance of finding the link.

4/17/2012 at 10:48 AM

Very cool. I need to start working on this again. I've been busy with work and other things. This is an exciting project! Thanks for your input.

9/3/2012 at 5:16 PM

My grandfather was Henry Arnold Burns, son of Stonewall Jackson Burns. This line of Burns is related to the Robert Burns. There is a Burns Family page on facebook where there is lots of info on the Burns family.

4/27/2013 at 4:30 PM

Thanks for the facebook tip, Lynn. I'll look that up.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion